PDA

View Full Version here: : What stacking programs are people using?

mangrovedutch
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
G'day All, I've just gone through 75 pages looking to see what stacking programs people are using, and ended up with one link somewhere back in 2006. I figure things have changed a little since then, what is the best and easiest to use? Naturally the free ones are good, but I don't mind paying for a suitable program.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards, Dutch

Yoddha
11-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Deep Sky Stacker and IRIS are very popular free programs. IRIS looks hard to use, but there are manuals "step-by-step" which are easy to follow. RegiStax is institution in the processing of Moon and planetary images.

PixInsight, MaximDL, Nebuolosity, Image Plus are popular paid packages. Every one of them has unique features.

And in the end you can stack images manually in PhotoShop or Gimp (free one), but it is time consuming and you will not be able to use the astro dedicated features and algorithms of the specialized softs.

Moon
12-01-2011, 12:01 AM
It depends if you are using a DSLR or CCD

mangrovedutch
12-01-2011, 12:05 AM
G'day, I only use DSLR.

Regards, Dutch

Moon
12-01-2011, 12:16 AM
For DSLR use I prefer Deep Sky Stacker.
James

mangrovedutch
12-01-2011, 12:23 AM
G'day James and Ivo, Thanks for your input. Biggest thing with me is computers - they frustrate the :mad2: out of me. I've got all these great photoshop programs, but using them is another matter. I'll have look at these links, good to see a couple of free ones on there.

It must be my mid-life crisis.

Regards, Dutch

Hagar
12-01-2011, 07:29 AM
I use CCDStack and wouldn't be without it. I have to say it is by far the best alignment and stacking program I have used. The best addition to CCDStack is the tutorials on it's use by Adam Block. This tutorial takes CCDStack to another level.
Well worth the money for both.

dugnsuz
12-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi Dutch,
I use ImagesPlus (Windows) and occasionally Nebulosity (Mac).
Nebulosity has both PC and Mac versions and is cheaper than IP - does a good job and has heaps of additional features like camera control etc.
Never got decent results with DSS
Doug

Octane
12-01-2011, 12:34 PM
IRIS is incredible in what it can do.

My understanding is that DeepSkyStacker is a more user friendly version of IRIS. I've never used it, though.

H

mangrovedutch
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the information, seems like there are lots of different stacking programs, just like scopes, that nearly cost me my sanity :screwy:. I haven't recovered from the research I did to find a scope. Like a said, I'm a bit of a quamby on a computer :sadeyes:, but I'm getting better. Not like I have much choice, considering everything that I use has something that needs me to use one :shrug:.
So to start with, I might have a look at IRIS, and being a true Dutchman, it's free, and once I get that under my belt, I might need something a bit more suited (should I get that far).
Thanks a lot for all the information that you have given me, I feel like I'm at the bottom of Mt. Everest in my Boardieswith my camera (I know how to use at least :D). The journey begins.......

Regards, Dutch

Octane
12-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Dutch,

IRIS does everything, and, more. You won't need to move on to anything else, in my opinion.

It's just the learning curve that stops people in their tracks. But, if you follow Christian Buil's tutorials on his site, it will get you going.

H

mangrovedutch
13-01-2011, 04:53 PM
G'day, Thank you all for the information. I was speaking to Ron from Sirius Optics this morning (whilst spending some $$ on a Hydrogen Beta filter and an adapter plate to put my camera onto the HEQ5pro, and ordering a focal reducer), and he recommended using RegiStax, which is now version 5 and soon there will be a release for a version 6. These down loads are free, and when I get a chance, will compare it to DSS and IRIS. Right, I've spent way to much money now, but I think I have everything I need to start taking planet and Deep space photos. Here is hoping that the skies clear and everyone is safe.

Regards, Dutch

Octane
13-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Registax is useless for deep space astrophotography.

H

mangrovedutch
13-01-2011, 06:48 PM
G'day H, Ok, I didn't get told that. I'll download IRIS as well, that should keep me busy for a while :rolleyes:. Thanks for your advice, mate, there is so much to learn with astronomy and astrophotography, I've only just got my head around using my DSLR to its full capacity.No doubt there will be more to learn to take photos with my camera when I finally attach it to my scope.

All your advice is very much appreciated, I am finding this forum very friendly and extremely helpfull, my wallet is crying, but I am smiling. I can't wait to contribute to this forum with some great captures.

Regards, Dutch

Octane
13-01-2011, 06:54 PM
By all means, get Registax, but, it's primarily for planetary/Lunar work.

As you have a DSLR, I would fathom that high resolution planetary work may be out of the question. Just too much fussing about to get any real detail. There's dedicated planetary imaging devices for that purpose.

I would say stick with DeepSkyStacker and/or IRIS as they're freebies and will get you to anywhere you need to be.

Cheers!

H

Geoff45
13-01-2011, 08:42 PM
CCDStack works extremely well for the usual deep sky stuff. If you want to combine pics at different orientations or through different focal length scopes, then Registar (not to be confused with Registax)wins.
Geoff

p1taylor
14-01-2011, 02:41 AM
Hi Dutch, Maxim DL+DSLR I am not in to computers but manage it OK, plus it all so is really good and will do every thing, control camera or ccd, guide, control scope, focus.

peter

ZeroID
14-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Just getting into it myself and my thoughts are DSS makes it all very easy to get going. It's mostly automatic and the help etc is excellent. BUT it falls down when you start getting really clever as it doesn't do the wavelets and other operations. So I'm learning my way through IRIS which DOES do the really sophisticated stuff but has a steep learning curve for sure.

I also use other photo processing software like Adobe products, GIMP, Paint Shop Pro etc where appropriate.
I'm lucky in being a long time digital photog and familiar with image processing in a serious amateur way because sometimes just getting your mind around the terminology and process is a big part of the battle to understand what and why you are doing it.

My recommendation, start with DSS and learn and understand the process then move onto IRIS or your choice of super software. Nice that they are free and do such a good job.