PDA

View Full Version here: : Freezer suits - I got my order in.., have you ?

astropolak
11-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Guys
I have placed my order for Freezer Suit high back trousers with Geoff (GTB_an_Owl)
I suggest if anyone wants to place orders now is the time as he is compiling the order to his suppliers...

Joe

gb_astro
11-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the Michelin Man club Joe. :)

These suits are really excellent.
Cold is just not a problem when you have one on.

gb.

Rodstar
11-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Nothing beats the familiar rustle of freezer suit thighs, swishing on the observing field.

Welcome to the club, Joe. You will definitely not find any coma in Geoff's supplies!!

GTB_an_Owl
12-01-2011, 10:49 AM
yes Joe

i will delay the Hepworths order till friday to give others a chance to order and send payment by thursday ( not that i am expecting any mind)

so folks - if you have been thinking about those cold nites observing - now is a very good time to make sure they are warm

i can not say when my next order will happen - and i don't have a lot in stock at the moment

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
14-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Stacey - Joe

goodies ordered Thursday - will be here mid next week i guess

we were lucky - they had stock of what we wanted

apparently stock was limited over the xmas period and not expected to be replenished till the end of the month

James - if you are listening - your order will be shipped as soon as i can box it after delivery next week
you may, and i say may , just get it friday if all goes well

geoff

Octane
14-01-2011, 06:06 PM
You're a gem, Geoff.

I honestly have no idea how I survived prior to obtaining my suit from you.

I don't know how I used to do it.

H

Rick Petrie
14-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I can only vouch for all the above comments.:thumbsup:
A night out viewing in the cold is now a confortable warm experience after getting mine last year.
Welcome Joe,James and Stacey to the club.:)

GTB_an_Owl
14-01-2011, 07:17 PM
thanks for the testimonials boys

i guess it is becoming a club of sorts

(not as big a club as i would like - but one i am sure glad to belong to}

geoff

Arthur Alchin
18-01-2011, 12:42 PM
have even slept in mine a few times when on astro camps on minus degree nights. Not a good idea for those with any degree of incontinence :)

that_guy
18-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm too cheap to buy Freezer suits :\ I go layers and that keeps me warm at -2 degrees Celsius

GTB_an_Owl
18-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Tony - as long as you don't put on too much weight - these suits will last you ten years or more

that works out at $16.50 per Winter

ONE - just One, trip to Ilford for the star party, convinced me that these things are more important than even your first serious eyepiece purchase
:cold:

geoff

GTB_an_Owl
18-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Stacey and Joe

stock arrived to-day

will bring them to the next PC nite (or let me know if you want to pay for delivery before then )

geoff

Rodstar
18-01-2011, 09:00 PM
I was there that trip, Geoff, I remememememembrrrrrrrrr

Wearing layers is, in IMO, a mistake in the depths of winter. I do not like the feeling of being "pressed in". I prefer the "freedom" of wearing my freezer suit with nothing underneath but a pair of undies - it may look clumsy, but it feels great.

I value my freezer suit more than my Naglers or my Ethos eyepiece. It makes observing in winter an absolute joy.:thumbsup:

I consider these things to be on the "essentials" list for pursuing our Most Noble Hobby.

gb_astro
18-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Rod, if you can't get your naglers in there as well you might need to go up a size. :D

gb.

Octane
19-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Once again, I'm not sure how I managed to spend 3 nights in a row in -7 degrees weather up at Zane Hammond's a few years ago. When I got home, I was sick for one week straight. That would not have happened if I had a freezer suit at the time.

Arthur, I've also slept in mine on many occasions. It's so, so comfortable.

H

jamespierce
19-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Can't wait Geoff !

jamespierce
21-01-2011, 09:59 AM
And they are here, sizing is about right, my suit is loose, but the right length (I guess your average freezer worker is packing a few more kg than me) - the Mediums are spot on for Alex too... They are physically huge to store! I hadn't factored in that. Looking forward to a cold night so we can shuffle around toasty and warm, the cold has driven us inside quite a few times in 2010 but not more !

PS: Does anyone use the hoods ? They seem kinda arkward.

GTB_an_Owl
21-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Gee - that was good service from aus post James

glad the fit is right
a little bigger - especially round the waist - will be better in time -TRUST ME

how is the fit of the boots ?

just a tip - never store them where they will get extremely hot ( on the back window of the car for example)

on the really really cold nites you will apreciate the hoods - but we all generally just wear beanies

can't wait to hear a report of your first cold nites observing

geoff

jamespierce
21-01-2011, 01:22 PM
The fit on the boots is fine, snug so wouldn't be wearing any thick socks inside them, but don't need to either. Compared to the suits they are quite sleek ! We'll be out observing at new moon at the end of the month, but hopefully it's not TOO cold by then, mind you - it got cold enough over new years a few nights.

Octane
21-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I use the hood all the time.

I wear a balaclava and beanie underneath, too.

H

Rodstar
21-01-2011, 09:51 PM
I love the hood, too, James. I tend to flick it away when approaching the EP, but if I am sitting between targets, doing the slow and gentle thing rather than racing through objects, it is almost without thought that the hood is moved back over the scone.

that_guy
21-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I'd love to see the cops reaction when they find you with balaclava with what looks like laser canons in a HAZMAT suit :lol:

Octane
24-01-2011, 04:32 PM
It's OK, the guys at work often refer to me as a terrorist. : )

H

wavelandscott
25-01-2011, 12:58 AM
So, how cold a temperature are the suits rated for?

Just curious...

GTB_an_Owl
25-01-2011, 01:41 AM
i think it would depend on undergarments Scott

i would imagine temperatures about -20 C (maybe more)

i tried to find it, but alas i couldn't, an article on these suits being supplied to scientists visiting our south pole base.

perhaps i should do something silly - and ring Hepworths to find out.

geoff

Waxing_Gibbous
25-01-2011, 02:30 AM
If the summer continue like tonight (8.6*), I'd best get in line.
They look the business!
For the last 30 odd years my cold weather gear has been a (then) range- topping REI swan's down exploration suit. It has 4 kilos (!!!) of swans down and is, or was, rated to -60 farenheit.
In 1979 it cost me $470something dollars and my dad just wigged!
Today you can expect to pay north of $5500 for a similar one with "only" eider-down.
Alas, its a bit worn out, so a replacement is on the cards.

jamespierce
25-01-2011, 05:56 AM
Of course you should get a freezer suit, but you can also have down bags/suits/jackets re plumped - Remote repairs in Melbourne would be a good place to call.

GTB_an_Owl
28-01-2011, 02:14 PM
here you go Scott
straight from the horse's mouth

Hi Geoff

Thank you for your enquiry. There is no real “temperature range” as it depends on how long the wearer is in the freezer, all day or intermittent or maybe only 15 minutes. Also, people tend to wear other clothing and/or thermal underwear under the freezerwear, they wear gloves, balaclavas etc. And how much movement they do in the freezer.

All this has a bearing on how warm they will be, however they have been know to be worn in minus 60 degrees Celsius.

Comfort range depends on the wearer its basically up to the individual as everyone is different. Also they should make sure they have the correct sizing.

We sell loads of freezer wear, jackets, trousers and suits and have almost no complaints from our customers.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Sally O'Keefe
Sally O'Keefe
Hepworth Industrial Wear Pty. Limited

geoff

wavelandscott
28-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Ha Ha and thanks for the follow up! Out of curiosity, what is that in F degrees?

Since being back in the states I'm losing my ability to be bitemperate...

I am sure they would do well.

GTB_an_Owl
28-01-2011, 03:15 PM
-76 F Scott

wavelandscott
29-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks! That would just about cover our wind chill last week with longjohns underneath!

GTB_an_Owl
29-01-2011, 11:01 AM
want me to send you a container load over Scott
you got room in the garage ?

(private joke folks)

geoff

wavelandscott
29-01-2011, 11:57 AM
That is an interesting idea...I'm sure my wife would not mind (again)! or not...

I was laughing out loud when I read your post and my youngest son asked what was so funny...I told him and he immediately said we should order a container load and that we could then sell some to Bintel...he especially enjoyed visiting them in our "seat delivery days" he was almost always given the chance to have a biscuit in the back...I told him I thought the drive to Sydney would make deliveries tough.

He (and the rest of us too) really miss being "down under".

GTB_an_Owl
29-01-2011, 12:29 PM
yes - well you know we would all like to see you back in the lucky country Scott - maybe one day perhaps

one of my nephews is a lecturer at ACU in Abilene - been over there (USA) for god knows how long - and he is having serious thoughts about coming home

geoff