PDA

View Full Version here: : Telescope Cases

shredder
18-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Hi All,

I am somewhat of a stickler for keeping my scopes in a sturdy and safe case, but found that commercial cases are expensive (for what they are, at least for me). In the past I have simply made them from plywood etc but this too is not a cheap option when you add in the cost of the wood, hinges, handles, corners, foam, varnish etc etc (but still much cheaper than a commercial case). Also I am not much at the old carpentry and my boxes are not always true.

Well I recently found an alternative. Bunnings (and I am sure others do too) sell galvanised tool boxes that are perfect for the job, for around $30 you can get a galvanised box (760mm x 300mm x 200mm approx) that is just perfect for say an ED80, when you then get some foam cut from Clark Rubber for another $20 you have a perfect case for around $50, that is strong, weather proof, durable, light, etc etc. This was about the same if not less than the cost of the timber to make it myself (and far better constructed). They have other sizes depending on what you are after, but it sure beats paying $200-300 for a similar commercial case. This one has room for the scope, and after adding a simple divider, the tripod too, making it an all in one box.

Anyway just thought others might be interested, while it is not really a DIY project it is also not a commercial product either. I will add some photos of the box tonight if I get the time.

Cheers

Michael

Robert_T
18-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks Michael - I wholeheartedly agree, the cost of commercial scope cases is really quite ridiculous. I was idly looking through supercheap auto recently and spied those same galvanised tool-boxes and some plastic ones and I had precisely the same idea to go and get some clark rubber foam cut to suit...

...course I'm too lazy to have followed through so I'm very pleased to see someone else has - good one mate!:)

wavelandscott
18-01-2006, 02:43 PM
In Sydney (Chatswood) there is a company called "The Foam Booth" (I think they have another location or two)...I've used them a time or two to cut custom foam shapes for eyepiece cases etc.

At least in my case they seemed a bit cheaper than Clark and they cut it right to size for me while I waited...

A couple of my gear cases come from Bunnings too...

sheeny
18-01-2006, 05:00 PM
With the same sentiments I started looking around...

I had a 65l plastic storage box (Classique Collection from Snaith Industries) that the original foam packing for my OTA fitted neatly into with a little trimming. So I bought another one (I ended up chasing it up through Bunnings) which now contains my mount... total cost, about $50:P .

It's not the sort of thing you'd book onto a plane or train when travelling, but to transport in your own car, it works.

Al.

shredder
18-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Well here is what you get for $50 or so and a little bit of time and effort. Note I also added some rubber corners as I didnt fancy scratching myself on the sharp edges (which are only on the corners).

Striker
18-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Great stuff Shredder....what a bargain for $50.

BTW....Didn't you die in the last episode of Ninja Turtles....you know in the explosion..if not I should let the turtles know because they think your dead.....lol

janoskiss
18-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for posting this Michael! Great tip I'll probably end up using for my next scope!

shredder
19-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi Guys,

Yep the case works well, and if you are after one is worth the effort (what little there is). I will be bringing it up to the Astro Camp for anyone interested in seeing it for real. As for costs all up its probable closer to $70 but still a bargin.

Case $33
Foam $23
Corners $8
Timber Insert / wall $10

As for my alias, yes I believe Shredder did kick the bucket in the last episode, however I suspect this was only a "dream sequence" and like all good villans Shredder lives on.... (it was a nick name from my Uni days, one of the few I actually liked)

Michael

ving
19-01-2006, 12:23 PM
thats gret micheal :)
now if they had one with wheels for mt 200x1200.....

tony: I am not sure if i should ask how you know so much about teenage mutant ninja turtles... :confuse3:

sheeny
28-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Fahim,

Please find attached photos as requested.

Al.

netwolf
28-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks Al, I will go and take a look at Bunnings.