PDA

View Full Version here: : What's driving your 14" SCT

pmrid
17-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading my spare pier with a new mount head. I'm hoping to avoid the cost of going for another Titan so I want to see if a G11 will drive a C14 for imaging purposes. The bare OTA runs about 23Kgs so figure another 5 Kgs for camera/guider etc and you're at the published instrument limit of a G11 (Losmandy rates at 60 Lbs instrumental load). I wonder whether anyone else has successfully imaged (probably at F/6.3 or Hyperstar) on this sort of setup.

Peter

ericwbenson
19-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Peter,
For visual the G11/C14 combo works fine, if sheltered from the wind. Imaging at f/10 the setup could only be used for planetary high frame rate stuff. At f/6 it would be ok but not a long term solution IMO. Unlike the previous three scenarios, I've never used hyperstar, but I imagine it would perform the best due to the rather short subexposure time (especially in the suburbs) and greatly reduced tracking accuracy required. It would still need some kind of autoguider though.

EB

frolinmod
29-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Well, you asked "what's driving your 14-inch SCT", so I'll tell you.

A Paramount ME.

Specifically, an EdgeHD 14 OTA in an Andy Homeyer scope cradle attached to a Paramount ME on top of (depending on where I set it up) either an Astro-Physics 10" portable pier or a Catamount Systems TRI36H tripod.

Rock solid stability for either visual or photographic applications. Portable too (honestly). :thumbsup:

Mars
30-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Whoa, nice gear!
That's like my dream setup. Enjoy it! :thumbsup: