PDA

View Full Version here: : LX90 balance

Osirisra
15-12-2010, 09:01 PM
This one is for the Meade SCT fork mount owners out there. Is my LX90 supposed to be balanced from the factory? Mine has been front heavy from day one and I don't think that is correct. I have ordered a balance weight system for it but I don't think I should have to for a stock setup. Any help appreciated.

jenchris
15-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Mine is back heavy as I use a big 2" diagonal - so I hav a little bag I habg off the front with a .5 kilo weight in it.
When I add the camera, I pop in an extra 1 kilo and all is well.
There are some slotted screws on the fork mounts where they are attached to the OTA to alter the balance a smidgeon, but I doubt it will give you satisfaction.
Let's face it - nothing comes perfect - simply because we change so much as we go.

When I set up my machinery, I just hang my little weight, let off the clutch, and it is unmoved by the gravity of the situation.

casstony
16-12-2010, 09:08 AM
The front heaviness is probably a good thing as it will even out by the time you add a 2" diagonal and 2" eyepiece. Balance doesn't need to be perfect though a heavy imbalance might lead to faster wear on the gears. Sounds like you're all set with the weight system though Ken.

The LX90's are nice scopes and the 10" makes things noticably brighter than an 8".

What do you think of the LX90 in comparison to your 14" dob?

Osirisra
16-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Even with a quite heavy set of lenses, barlow and diagonal it still front heavy but yes the weight system will fix that. Just seems odd to be out of balance from stock.

The LX90 is a nice scope with nice clean crisp views and it sure alot easyier to move around than the 'cannon' Dob. The light gathering grunt of the 14" is very nice to have as well as the added stability of the dob mount compared to the LX90 fork mouint but they are both great scopes with good and bad points. The Autostar and Synscan systems are mostly about the same with a few minor differences. The both track and perform goto funtionality at an acceptiable level. I did get the new Audio version of the Autostar with my LX90 which is a nice litlle bonus. It has nice audio descriptions and information on all the main items that is great for when you show things to newcomers. They get to see the object and get a running commentary on what they are seeing and then I can add to the info without having to repeat the basics all the time. :D

jenchris
16-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Is it spoke by Sir Patrick Moore or Carl Sagan?
That would crack me up - when you get to the black holes, Stephen Hawkings's computer voice does the narration....

Osirisra
16-12-2010, 01:30 PM
LOL, that would be funny. It not anyone I regonise, It a Male and a Female doing the narration and it actual voices not computer snyth which is nice.

GrampianStars
16-12-2010, 03:02 PM
While the Dolla1 tis good:thumbsup:
http://admaccessories.com/Productgallery1.htm
get yer goodies here
and you will need the 2D weight kit 4 sure :lol:
add 250grams to left fork as well, ballance with scope tube vertical 1st, then scope tube horizontal