PDA

View Full Version here: : Looking forward to Robin Casady bar setup for the Losmandy G11

h0ughy
15-12-2010, 08:43 AM
TIS the season to be jolly la la la, la la la la……..I promise it’s the last astro gear I buy this year….honest!

I couldn’t help myself as I still want to use the 127ED, so I have bought a set of Robin Casady bars - 16” Tandum bar with 12” dovetail saddle and TGAD with Dove8 saddle top (http://www.robincasady.com/Astro/)…. Now just waiting on the C11, the QHY10 is on its was and the automated dome track is delivered but not installed and I have the Sky 6 and tpoint…..Christmas is a fun time of year

RB
15-12-2010, 09:06 AM
ooohhh, nice one Houghy, I've been eyeing those out for years.

" Someone's " even suggested to me the silly notion of mounting the TOA 130 next to the TOA 150. :P :lol:

Hagar
16-12-2010, 08:07 AM
I do hope you have checked the weight of all this gear for the G11.

The TGAD and RC tandum bar on its own is very solid and very heavy.
I hope you are happy with it, as the one I had was not as good at holding the second scopoe as I had hoped.

Good Luck

h0ughy
16-12-2010, 09:10 AM
:sadeyes: oh how so - any pics? how long ago - is it his newer design?

Hagar
16-12-2010, 09:24 AM
I had the unit a couple of years back. (web image still looks like the same as the one I had) I actually got it from JohnG he may be able to add to this but I did find it very difficult to align both the primary scope and the guide scope on the same target and get enough pressure on the adjustment screws to lock it all in place. The pivot for adjustment is a balance on a metal ball with locking via the adjustment screws. I always felt there was some movement between both scopes.

The weight was the next big thing. It is made very solidly with a bottom bar and top bar made from 12mm thich aluminium, large adjustment screws and then you have to add a saddle plat as well unless you hard mount the scope to the top plate which requires you dissassemble it to screw it to the plate.

Sorry no photo's but John may still have some.

Robin's gear is of the highest quality but it is made like a brick dunny and requires foundations built likewise.

I hope it all works out for you and suggest you order another counterweight for the G11.

JohnG
16-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Here you are Dave.........

As Doug said, it is very heavy, you will need to balance in 3 axis and you will probably need another counterweight.

Cheers

h0ughy
16-12-2010, 10:51 AM
thanks Doug and John, I have the extra counter weights for quite some time. how wide was your bar ,did you have the 16" tandum bar?

JohnG
16-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Hi Dave

I had the 12" one, I didn't need the extra width on the setup I had at the time.

Cheers

h0ughy
20-12-2010, 10:57 PM
well the C11 has turned up , but i realised i needed to get another adapter for the hyperstar lens so that the QHY10 can be mounted

pmrid
21-12-2010, 10:47 AM
David, when your adapter for the QHY10 turns up, could I ask you to throw a micrometer at it and let me have it's dimensions. I have a QHY8 on mine and am going to move up to the 10 or perhaps even the 12 and would appreciate knowing in advance if I need a different adapter from the one I already have for the QHY8.
Peter

h0ughy
21-12-2010, 11:13 AM
it will be different as they pulled me up on the order - i ordered the qhy8pro but going back and looking at the specs they are different by 2mm- so it will be a specific one for the qhy10

gregbradley
21-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Great buy Houghy. Cassady gear is beautifully made. His administration is very inefficient though. I bought a saddle once and about a month later I got another one unordered. I sent it back to him. About 2 months later it was returned to me unasked for a 2nd time!! What do you do??

Greg.

h0ughy
23-12-2010, 02:00 PM
well another peice of the puzzle turned up - one focus motor from starizona for the feathertouch focuser with the controller..nice! just waiting on these bars which left the US on the 18th dec? Oh and the QHY10 adapter for the hyperstar.....:D

I hope everything is how it should be with my order Greg;)

h0ughy
23-12-2010, 11:41 PM
motorised feathertouch focuser turned up today