PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ6-improvements

TrevorW
13-12-2010, 09:46 AM
OK Lately I'm really been PO by the EQ6 Ppoor method of adjusting ALZ (especailly when ladden) has anyone out there done any modifications to improve there EQ and make it easier to use

bojan
13-12-2010, 11:46 AM
I replaced the original bolts with M10 high-tensile screws (with machined ends.. also I have new threads for them in the mount as well).
Now I need a spanner to adjust it, but usually this is not necessary, as I also have a high sensitivity bubble level (glued on top of the original one).
The only thing I have to do now (when/if I am out of my own backyard) is to level it and adjust the South-North direction.
In my backyard, I have 3 concrete slabs (one for each tripod leg) with a hole in them, where the tripod pin sits in.
Proper lubrication of screws also helps a lot.

Ideally, the threads should be replaced with steel threaded bushings, to prolong the life of the thread, if it is to be adjusted very often.

Recently I found this link, it addresses some of the issues:
http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/110214-eq6-altitude-adjustment-bolt.html

peter_4059
13-12-2010, 06:06 PM
I've replaced the bolts with indexing levers and replaced the grub screws that tension the alt axis with thumb knobs.