PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade #1209 focuser

33South
16-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Any opinions on the Meade #1209 Zero Image Shift MicroFocuser.

Im thinking of getting one for my LX90, the heavy duty focussers JMI, Moonlite are really too big for the short arms on the LX90.

Robert_T
17-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Hi, I bought one of these for use of my Celestron 9.25 a couple of months ago. Critical focus for planetary imaging is essential and it's very very difficult to achieve wth all the focus jiggles and mirror shift. The Meade micro-focusser has really solved this problem and greatly improved the quality (and reliability) of my results. The focussing unit seems solid and precise, though the handbox seems a bit cheap and nasty and it chews the batteries (8x AAAs).

I must confess to not having any experience to the alternative electric focussers available, but I'd be reluctant to part with the money required for more expensive units. The meade cost me $399.

cheers,

33South
17-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks Robert, my first choice was the JMI NGF-CM Motorised Focuser but was too big for the LX90 and over $500.

So started looking at smaller alternatives the #1209 seemed a good compromise.

By the way can you run them off an external DC source?

[1ponders]
17-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Hi Chris. It is a pretty good focuser. Not great by a long shot, but for the money you'll definately wonder how you did without it before.

My only complaint with it is the amount of backlash in it when switching directions. For visual work this isn't much of a problem, but when using it for astrophotography and using it in conjunction with some focusing programs that have the ability to autofocus or count the focus steps it can become a bit of a nuisance. I never checked, but it may be possible to adjust the focuser to remove some of the backlash, but from memory one (or two?) of the gears are nylon/plastic so I don't know how they would tolerate being meshed together tighter.

Robert_T
17-01-2006, 09:49 AM
you should be able to, it plugs into the handbox which provides 12v so just need to find a 12v source alternate source that accepts that plug or get an adaptor.

cheers,

33South
17-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys, off to Bintel. Only 5 minute walk from my office - dangerous:eyepop: (http://misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=6#)

Cant make the weather any worse by spending a few astro dollars.

33South
17-01-2006, 12:35 PM
**** couldnt even get to the end of January. They had one in stock, so I had to buy it. :wink2:

Michael convinced me I needed it by telling me he has one on his LX90......

h0ughy
17-01-2006, 01:03 PM
better update your signature!!

also tell bintell they need to take some of these to Lostock! ;)