PDA

View Full Version here: : Netbooks suitable for observatory?

bert
04-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Hi all,

Due to my observatory being flooded due to flash flooding here in bathurst, I am looking for a replace my non waterproof pc to run my observatory. I do not do any data processing on this machine, although I do have a lot of gear/programs running simultaneously, scope, capture software, rotator fucusers and programs, ao, ccdap etc. So there is a lot going on at once.

I am tempted to use a netbook style laptop to replace the existing desktop, does anyone have some experience with these for data capture?

Thanks
Brett

BerrieK
04-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi Brett, I don't have any advice re the netbook but am sorry to hear that your obs has been flooded. Damn. Bugger.

mswhin63
04-12-2010, 09:40 AM
I picked up a netbook with Windows 7 last night i will be running it once i get it set-up hope tonight. If i do i will give some feedback. i was more interested in it's performance when travelling to DSO's.

cfranks
04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
I've used an Acer Aspire 1 Netbook (Win XP Pro, 1.5GB) for nearly 2 years to control my 'scope - WO FLT132, Focuser, QSI540wsg, Losmandy G11 with Gemini etc with no problems. I use CCDAutoPilot, CCDSoft or MaximDL with MaxPoint, FocusMax and PHD Guiding also with no problems.

Charles

telemarker
04-12-2010, 10:34 AM
I have 2, an aspire one and a eepc 701SD. Both will control data capture with the cameras, guiding and mount control using PHD, ccdsoft, nebulosity, sequence generator (for nebulosity), EQMOD, thesky 5 and focussing with no problems. I would however, question whether a netbook would have enough grunt to also control AO. You might want to look up the requirement for that aspect.

mswhin63
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi Brett,

I only received the netbook yesterday before taking it out, I was able to install all of my usual programs and the CCD webcam was still able to give me maximum frames rate which is really great although didn't have mach time to capture jupiter.

My main reason was to test the DSLR long exposure but everything went wrong with the set-up, Overall I installed APT and that worked perfectly although i forgot to install the camera drivers.

In all the Netbook looks more than fast enough to handle my application and deepsky attempts I wish to do. I wouldn't use it for processing though but seems good for the imaging at the moment.

AussieSky
23-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi Brett,

I use an old, original ASUS eeePC 7" Netbook (XP Home) to drive my GoTo EQ-5 via The Sky6 & ASCOM etc, as well as a couple of different USB CCD camera's. I use it on a 17" LCD monitor on site and it all works just fine. Your case is surely more complex, but I'd reckon that any of the modern 'netbook' or 'CULV' spec machines would be worth looking at.

Greg

PeterM
23-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Just about all netbooks I have seen now come with win7 starter. I have heard that netbooks with Win 7 starter can only run a few applications (3?) at once. I have an ASUS eeepc 1005p (about 6 months old) with 2 gig ram and it will not run the SkyX Pro (open gl is the issue here I believe), but Sky 6 pro runs fine. Generally I found the 1005P runs slower than the XP netbook I had previously.

PeterM.

bert
23-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I did buy another desktop... but it ended up at work somehow?!

I ended up setting up my existing high spec lappie to run the obs for the time being.

I was sent a PM regarding the fitpc http://www.fit-pc.com/web/fit-pc2/fit-pc2-models/ , The person recommending them has had them working for sometime quite successfully. I can see myself getting one of these in the long term. They can be mounted on the dovetail and operated by vnc. So anybody thinking of a new obs computer would do well to check them out.

Brett

Tandum
23-12-2010, 09:40 PM
I swapped an old lcd tv for an eeepbox. It comes with built in wireless and I put a solid state drive in it so it runs win7 pretty well now but I'm not sure if they still sell them. I'll be using this if I ever get to set up the scopes again.

mswhin63
23-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I managed to run my netbook recently, forgot my PSU on the first attempt. The main problem I experienced is the size of the display to maintain a good focus but I think I managed OK. As far as the programs for imaging all worked fine although Canon could not be installed so I plugged the PC into a full sized monitor to install the programs. APT then worked and functioned perfectly the way i wanted. The webcam also worked well and also managed the same frame rate as my I7.

I will possibly consider using this as my primary travel PC in the future now, but i would also maintain it as a good Observatory PC as well.

pmrid
25-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Brett, here's your chance to bring serious testosterone into the observatory. Claim on your insurance and then order one of these babies!!
http://www.dell.com/au/p/alienware-m17x/pd?~ck=anav

:eyepop:
Peter

telemarker
13-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Just an update to this old thread. Loaded up the SXV-AO software onto the netbook and it had no problem handling the data throughput and all the associated scope control, planetarium and CCD capture programs. These little machines are quite capable.

bert
13-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Do you run the sky with the notebook?

I am setting up a shared remote observatory atm and we are discussing pc options. I did buy a notebook to try it but I have had some reservations due to lack of processing power and running multiple programs like ccdap, the sky, ccdsoft, ao and radmin. Is there anybody out there running all these?

Brett

Tandum
13-04-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm using the sky on that little atom of mine. PHD is sucking the life out of it. PHD can pull 50% of the CPU at times, I need to get back to maxim guiding. Right now it's running maxim, the sky, phd, POTH, leves dome driver, eqmod and ccd inspector without issue.

telemarker
13-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I have been using TheSky5, but I'm trialling CdC as I'm having scope syncing problems when using Elbrus (think it might be related discrepancies with different GSC catalogues). Nice to have some clear skies to try and sort it out. :shrug: