PDA

View Full Version here: : Guiding with DSI II????

nobbygon
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey,

I'm about to get a guidescope (ED80) and use my old DSI II PRO with my EQ6.

I run the mount with EQMOD.

I am wondering if I need a GPUSB from my laptop to the mount in order to use the DSI as the guide cam. Is this true?

Cheers,
Angus

lookus
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
no. you just need to connect the dsi to a laptop and open phd. use the eqmod pulseguiding. it works very well. i used to have the exact same setup.

Merlin66
01-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Angus,
You'd only need the GPUSB adaptor if you're connecting direct to the ST-4 socket on the mount.

mldee
04-12-2010, 09:56 PM
I'll second this approach, works just fine. I use an eePC701 for CdC+EQMOD mount control, PHD with EQMOD pulseguiding, and FCUSB to drive my el cheapo Skywatcher electric focusser, all done remotely via Win 7, Remote desktop via house LAN. Never have a glitch.

The DSI II Pro is a good guider choice, stable and has good sensitivity for guiding. Direct support in PHD, so no real need to go the ST4 route.

I use a seperate Dell lappie for imaging, as I find imaging seems to be more prone to needing the occasional reboot, while the little mount lappie can just keep chugging along.

Then again, with the rain here in Brisbane, you could use a house brick for guiding at the moment :)