PDA

View Full Version here: : Different os on 2 hdds Possible ?

vindictive666
26-11-2010, 11:16 AM
hi all

this a question for the computer geeks here :)

i have 1 hdd in my computer running xp pro

what i would like to do is install windows 7 not the home the next one up

on a other hdd

now the question is this is it possible to select what os i want on computer startup?

ie multiple boot options

i know it is possible on the same drive but has it or can it be done on different hdds

(i have 1 sata installed and have 1 other spare not installed yet)

i want to keep both os systems
separate if possible

regards john

turbo_pascale
26-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I use BOOTIT NG, which is about $35.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

I use it to keep Win7 and my Vista separate (while I'm "migrating"), and I have them on the same hard drive, but I know that it works fine with multiple hard drives, as I have done this years ago on a different machine with this software.

The main thing I use it for besides this, is that it allows you to image your partitions, and back them up (completely outside of the OS) so you get a perfect snapshot at a point in time.

Only downside is that it is a bit "geeky" and the interface is a bit difficult, but it is as stable as can be, and I have never had anything go wrong with it. They also release revisions fairly regularly, although most of these changes don't seem to affect much (mostly to ensure it supports new OS releases etc)

jenchris
26-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Macrium reflect will give you a snapshot (free download) - I even used it to reinstall my pc - migrated the whole HDD to a new one as the old one was failing.
As per the two OSs - yes it is not difficult - you just need the right bat file!
as per Rob above!

supernova1965
26-11-2010, 03:20 PM
And there is Easy BCD which is a real good easy to use program and it has a free fully functional version. You install it on the Win7 OS and point to the xp drive

Barrykgerdes
28-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Yes it is possible on most modern computers to nominate your startup drive but it is not really simple as it reqires at the least pressing an "F" key or similar when the firsts start up screen otherwise you may also need to get right into the start screen.

The normal way to add Windows 7 to a second HHD is to do a standard install of Windows 7 and select the second option to install a complete separate system (not upgrade). You will then be able to nominate the drive and/or partition. The install process will take care of everything else. Just follow the screen instructions. When the system installs you will now have a start menu that gives you the option of starting either version. The default will be Windows 7 but this can be changed from the control panel.

I always partition my drives for a number of separate partitions and use this procedure when installing separate operating systems. I have Windows 98, Windows2000, Window XP, Windows Vista, DOS 7 and Ubuntu all on the same computer, selectable at start up.

An interesting effect will be that no matter what drive you install Windows 7 or Vista to it will always boot as drive "C". The other systems will still appear on their initial installed drives.

and as Warren says get "easyBCD" It is far superior for manipulating drive options than the one Microsoft supplies. Also when Windows 7 installs you may be in trouble with "permissions". There are also ways to get around this with "geek tricks".

Barry.

g__day
07-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Yes

First - you need a boot loader (nearly all operating systems have these and many support other / multiple O/S loading - caution - the order you install O/S is important - you usually have to instal older O/S first).

Second you need either multiple hard drives or a partitioned single hard drive.

On the motherboard you have to nominate which hard drive the computer should try and boot an O/S from first. This hard drive / partition must have a boot loader on it that knows about all the O/S you have loaded, and which to default to.

The most powerful and versatile boot loaders are probably the UNIX ones, they can both and handle almost any file system / O/S combination you'd ever want to play with.

For your simple set up, add a second hard drive - format it to NTFS. Install Windows 7 in advanced mode and select multiple bootable O/S option, point to your second hard drive, and away you go. On boot it will use the WIndows 7 boot loader, which will default to Win7, but will give you typically 4-10 seconds to scroll down and select older O/S.

Matt