PDA

View Full Version here: : iOS 4.2 is finally out...

Omaroo
23-11-2010, 06:30 AM
Yay! iOS 4 for iDevices, but most importantly for the iPad at last. App folders, AirPrint, AirPlay, multitasking...etc..etc... - hurrah :)

Downloading it now... :thumbsup: Hopefully no problems, but we'll see.

Omaroo
23-11-2010, 07:03 AM
14 minutes later. Done! Seamless. :thumbsup:

11 pages of previously disparate apps - all on one page now. Luvverly :)

Octane
23-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Man, I haven't backed up/updated my phone since September 1st when my notebook went for a swim at Border Stargaze.

I'm really dreading my phone dying at some point (unlikely, I've only ever had one crash and that was while using Google Earth) and not being able to recover all that data. Argh!

I desperately need to get an Inspiron 9200 or Inspiron 9300, so, I can just pop in the old hard drive into the new machine and just get up and running again. The Inspiron 9400 I won on eBay was a newer design and has a different hard drive connection -- won't accept the old hard drive. : (

I check fleabay daily.

H

RickS
23-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Get yourself an external HDD cradle and at least you'll be able to grab most of the data.

Octane
23-11-2010, 10:51 AM
I've got all the data, Rick. I just don't want to go through the hassle of migrating it all to the new notebook. Just want to plug the disk in, turn machine on, and be done with it.

H

RickS
23-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Fair enough! A re-install is always such a pain but unfortunately necessary from time to time with Windows...

issdaol
23-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I am probably missing something simple but I cant find any way to setup/turn on the ability to do multitasking or folders :question:

Any pointers would be great :help:

Cheers

Omaroo
23-11-2010, 01:48 PM
There is no setup for M/T as such, it depends on whether app designers have written it into their code yet. Lots have, because iOS4 has been out for some time on iPhone. When you fire up an app, just fire up another one as well. Double-click the home button and you'll see all currently running apps in the bottom row. Flick back and forth between them and select one to run again. Easy.

For folder creation, just press and hold an app on screen to enter jiggle mode. When yo've done that, simply drag one app over another similar app (i.e. two that you'd like to pair in a folder like SkySafari and StarMap) and drop - it will create a folder for you. Rename it at any time. The OS is reasonably smart in that it detects the genre of two apps that are introduced and calls the folder, by default, after this genre. Astronomy apps usually come in under "Educational".

mswhin63
23-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Just updated my iPhone 4.0 and it locked the SIM, so make sure you have PIN and PUK numbers before upgrading.

Omaroo
23-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Windows or Mac host Malcolm?

mswhin63
23-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Windows

issdaol
23-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks Mate. Alls sorted Now :thumbsup: