PDA

View Full Version here: : Astromist

allan gould
23-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Anyone here used Astromist for the IPhone?
I'd be interested in comments for this app as I had used it briefly before my palm went bellyup.

issdaol
23-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Hi Mate,

I have it on my I-Phone.

IMHO

It is a very quick install but when you do the object database sync it takes hours which is quite annoying. The SkySafari process is much easier and faster.
The menu system is very old fashioned and needs to be re-engineered.
Still seems to be quite a few little bugs that always pop up and need special fix by the developer
Settings and Options are needlessly complicated in my opinion
Overall User Interface, Mapping and Tracking does not take advantage of the I-Phone or I-Pad features and graphics capability making it look and feel like a late 70's / early 80's app that has timewarped and been directly ported to I-Phone
The app does have some serious observational session recording and planning capability and it also has n-star alignment modelling capability with support for a lot of different mounts.

In summary, I think that SkySafari and StarmapPro/HD are really leaving Astromist behind nowdays and also provide a more stable app and better support. They dont have all the recording, planning or settings options but they are much quicker and easier to use with most of the elements included to get up and running quickly with great interface.

Cheers

Omaroo
23-11-2010, 09:29 AM
I had a go at this app and removed it. It's so clunky by today's standards and whilst it was a decent app on Palm, it has a long way to go in the new world. Again, I agree that its planning facilities are pretty good, the others will catch up soon enough. With some serious work it will be a contender, but not until then.

allan gould
23-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks Phil and Chris, that was exactly the information I required. I have Safari as well as Starmap pro so I'll stay with them for the time being. I may get the wifi control though as it does look interesting.