17-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Why is this galaxy so thin:question:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/11/15/3066454.htm
An amazing image from The Hubble Space Telescope :eyepop:

CraigS
17-11-2010, 08:54 AM
G'Day Ron;

Interesting photo.

The ABC article referred to Phil Plait's blog site which contains some very interesting words:

In the recent Hartley comet thread, I've learned to look very carefully at how these images are taken. This one was taken by the Hubble IR set-up.

If there was dust in the galaxy would it be visible in this photo ?

Perhaps not, according to Plait.

If it did have dust surrounding the galaxy, would it really be so thin ?

Cheers
PS: I'm a bit of a Plait fan … I find him to be reassuringly honest. Which is great when he comments on releases .. one tends to get a more unbiased perspective on all this media stuff by checking out what he has to say !!

astroron
17-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks Craig, I am always grateful for your digging below the surface of these articles:)
You tease out things that some of us don't pick up or follow up:(:thumbsup:
Cheers

CraigS
17-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey Ron;
(I was starting to think I was just a grump !!)
:)
But it is amazing how these scientist types can make so much from remote images.

There really is a big difference between what us Amateurs would tend to do with an image, and what these guys are doing with them. There's clearly a lot to consider when they analyse an image … not the least of which, is a very deep understanding of the sensing technologies and balancing this against the current theories behind the technology AND the object they're analysing.

Its really difficult for us Amateurs to make informed opinions/statements about what the 'imagery evidence' is saying. I feel that all we can really do, is to keep track of the status of their deliberations, and try to separate their more justified statements from their speculative ones.

Keeping up with either of these elements is not a trivial exercise for us, either !

Cheers & Rgds

astroron
17-11-2010, 10:17 AM
:hi:Craig, I have followed up on the Phil Plait article and I can see where you are coming from:)
I have often thought that a lot of scientist fudge the facts to fit the puzzle:rolleyes:
also a lot is lost in the translation between the statement put out by the issuer of the article:(
Regards

mental4astro
17-11-2010, 10:44 AM
The photo seems to hint at the galaxy having a massive halo enveloping the disk too, with the right side tending to lift up. Tends to suggest a big tidal influence to displace so much material.

Eliptical galaxies also tend not to show dust amungst their mass. Spiral galaxies can also be very dusty too, and fat- look at Centuraus A.

Might not this 'thin' galaxy be a highly flattened eliptical galaxy, as it is described as lenticular, to me, suggesting no obvious arms that defines a spiral galaxy?

CraigS
17-11-2010, 11:29 AM
G'Day Alex;

Its interesting … I don't think you could rule out a barred galaxy or spiral barred shapes either.

So, it could be elliptical, barred, barred spiral, etc, etc ..

The thing that I get from this, is re-assurance of the amazing diversity that's out there.

I was just reading up on the new mini-black hole that Chandra has photographed, the mysterious 'bubble' they've photographed extending either side of the Milky Way, (and there are several others which have appeared lately).

It seems to me that with each new space based scope we get up there, and with every new and improved ground based technology, we start discovering more exceptions to the 'rule'.

The 'Golden Age' of Astronomy, eh ??

Imagine the discoveries that could happen if we could get another angle on these distant galaxies ? (Ie: other than Earth's frame of reference ?)

Cheers

Suzy
17-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Gosh, almost looks like I could get a paper cut from it, it's that thin :eyepop:.
I sure would like to know what's going on in the centre of it.:question:

Everything Ron said :thumbsup: and my two cents worth....

Where would we be without Craig?!!! :shrug:
He is a tireless worker in helping to make the science section an interesting one (not forgetting to mention Stephen & Carl either for all their tremendous input of course). :)

Each time new information comes through, our Craig is on to it. :computer: His enthusiasm is always fresh and he shows so much generosity in helping people to understand, and in doing so unfortunately sometimes he gets a bit of flack thrown his way. But Craig, despite it, you always handle yourself and others with great dignity and respect. A trait you should be very proud to own. ;) Thank goodness he has a layer of thick skin, because we need him around here.

He is the backbone of this science forum and one of the nicest, most decent people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. :thanx:

CraigS
17-11-2010, 02:27 PM
:thanx:

:face:

:party:

:eek:

:tasdevil:

:evil:

(Its all me !)

Suzy
17-11-2010, 03:09 PM
:eyepop: That's the most amount of emoticons I've ever seen Craig use. :lol:

sjastro
17-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Craig for PM. ;)

Steven

Suzy
17-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Aplogies Mr Moderators for going slightly off topic, but sometimes we just need to stop, and take a look around and give some credit where it's due. I'm sure you'll understand. :)

astroron
17-11-2010, 04:14 PM
What did I start:question:,I agree whole heartedly with Suzy's post :thumbsup: but Credit goes where Credit is due :D
Thanks again Craig:thumbsup:

ballaratdragons
17-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Look at all the Galaxies in the background!

Drooooool :eek: I'm in Love :love:

CraigS
17-11-2010, 04:47 PM
According to Phil Plait:

Cheers

astroron
17-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Craig, it does seem to have a rather large halo,so maybe images taken in a different light may give us more information about this galaxy:shrug:
It is a nice image anyway for a 12 minute shot :thumbsup:

CraigS
17-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Wouldn't it be great to have scope that could take photos like this over such a short period, eh Ron ?

Could capture quite a bit …. in between downpours, that is !!

Cheers

that_guy
23-11-2010, 04:45 PM
:lol: i can just see myself trying to get that with my ed80 :rofl: that would be a fail LOL!!!