PDA

View Full Version here: : Who out there in Astroland owns a Losmandy Titan?

h0ughy
14-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I am seeking your views on the Losmandy Titan mount? How is it for Astrophotography and what type of payload do you have on it? Any pics of the loads and things to be aware of?

mithrandir
14-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Try IIS member mtodman. He has one.

tlgerdes
14-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Matt runs an FSQ106 on his. Mike Berthon Jones from ASNSW has one and he runs a 12" planewave on it.

Paul Haese
14-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Bird has one.

Bassnut
14-11-2010, 09:08 PM
And Jase

Octane
14-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah, and look at Jase's images. : )

Jase sold his to Peter, from memory.

H

h0ughy
14-11-2010, 09:52 PM
does Mike have a web site?

Omaroo
14-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Zane (astroboy) has an HGM200 as well, and it currently hosts Guy Fleming's home-built RC.

strongmanmike
14-11-2010, 11:01 PM
You looking to get a new mount Dave?

If so, what about this (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=67914)?

Mike

pmrid
15-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Yep. Sure did.
It's now holding up an EdgeHD 1400/Hyperstar combo with piggy-back guider. It originally held an old C14 that now sits (don't laugh) on an EQ6 where it performs quite well as a planetary/lunar visual/webcam scope.
The Titan is a fabulous mount David.
PM me about coming out to TenChain Hill Obs to have a play.
Peter.

tlgerdes
15-11-2010, 06:14 AM
No, he doesnt.

He is currently designing a new controller for it, he doesnt like the Gemini. It has an issue where you cant control it via computer in both DEC and RA at the same time, you have to alternate. This issue only effects 0.001% of the Gemini install base (ie MBJ), as most people arent that fussy.

strongmanmike
19-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey Houghy if you want one of the best mounts around in its class without the wait...here is your chance :thumbsup::

From the AP user group:

We have notified all of the people on the 900GTO list and have now
opened up the ordering process. You can order a 900GTO for Jan or Feb
delivery without going on the list. You can order directly from the
website or call the number below.

http://www.astro-physics.com/products/mounts/900gto/900gto.htm (http://www.astro-physics.com/products/mounts/900gto/900gto.htm)

Clear Skies!

Marj Christen
Vice President
Astro-Physics, Inc
11250 Forest Hills Road
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
Fax: 815-282-9847
www.astro-physics.com
Please include this e-mail with your response.

h0ughy
19-11-2010, 12:31 PM
so in relation to a PME how does this one rate Mike? and i see this is similar in price to the titan:question:

Bassnut
19-11-2010, 02:47 PM
The Titan is (US) $6k, the 900GTO is $8.7k and the PME $14.5k, I dont think you can directly compare them Dave, the differences are proportion to the prices.

strongmanmike
19-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Put it this way, if I was looking to buy a new mount to take my 12" that's coming I would email Marj straight away!

Not as heavy duty as the PME but I think the AP900 would be perfectly fine upto a 7" APO or 14" Catadioptric.

Same class as the Titan, Tak NJP and Tak EM400..but it would be an Astrophysics :D

Man, you would be the envy of everyone for sure :thumbsup:

Mike

RB
19-11-2010, 02:58 PM
...but the likelihood of SWMBO will dismember Dave is a certainty with any one of these mounts.

:lol:

h0ughy
19-11-2010, 03:12 PM
there is a fine line between envy and practical ;) you seem to be the Astrophysics spokesperson for the minute:D

one dream has left the building :sadeyes: and i have had to pass on it:(, but i am not going to rule out others in the future. Practically speaking the titan is achievable without decapitation, the others maybe? I suppose it comes dow nto use, practicality, support, bank for buck and parts and accessories:question:

jase
19-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Interesting thread with a variety of views. Good stuff!

Having owned a Losmandy Titan (regular, not 50:1 gearbox version) for a few years, I have to say that it is a very capable mount. Am sure Peter who purchased mine (noted in this thread) is now a happy camper. I found the mount worked very well for robotic operations having produced many images with it in this manner. However, don't be mistaken, its not a robotic mount. Mounts with absolute encoders offer true robotic operations having the ability to recover from a power outage. That said, if you ensure you "park" the mount each night after an imaging run has completed you can successfully power up, night after night, platesolve and continue imaging from where you last left off. However if you have a power outage during an imaging run (common in remote locations where dark skies exist I should add - talking from experience here!), the mount struggles and needs human intervention to keep the pointing aligned through regular syncs. If anything, the Gemini software is a force to be reckoned with. The latest ascom driver set is solid and feature rich. The version 5 code in which Mr. Ward is testing will undoubtedly bring new features. Expected as soon as Feb 2011 I hear on the vine. Peter is on the inside so could advise realistic dates.

A few key points on the Titan;

Have the latest firmware eprom - don't dismiss the telescope's brains! It is after all a key aspect and perhaps just as important is the continual improvement program where software takes advantage of new features.
Ensure the mount is relatively well balanced. I found the a slight imbalance improve tracking performance.
To give your Titan more torque you can upgrade to the 50:1 gearbox, alternatively feed it 18v. It will love you for it slewing large scopes around with ease.
Gemini's in built pointing model is ok, however does not compare against a software pointing model such as Tpoint (far more terms). Depending on what you want achieve, the inbuilt pointing model may work well for you (keep in mind that operating remotely, the target needs to be dead center of the chip).
From a tracking performance perspective with PEC programmed, you will obtain excellent performance - on par with an AP900 - no problem.
Be mindful of cable tangle. The lugs that are used to secure polar alignment in azimuth can snag a cable. I've had a few 1m USB cables that are now 1.05m. They stretch to a point of destruction. Not a fun situation to be in while operating remotely and your guider stops working.
Check your worm clearance. If you do adjust make sure you compensate for expansion/contraction as the ambient air cools to avoid binding.
Perhaps more a Gemini point of interest, but set your east and west limits correctly. Not only will this save your precious OTA and camera hammering itself into the mount but also defines the meridian flip. For remote operations you can tweak the goto limit to fine tune (handy to say the least). You don't want to be wasting 20mins waiting for the mount to flip on an automated imaging run!

I'm sure I could think of a few other pointers on the mount, but overall its a strong performer for astro imaging work.

h0ughy
19-11-2010, 08:08 PM
thanks Jase, really great info and pointers which i am noting:thumbsup:

mick pinner
19-11-2010, 08:57 PM
have you considered the CGEPRO, l just watched a couple of videos on the Celestron site and it looks very good especially the new polar alignment method.

h0ughy
19-11-2010, 09:44 PM
well if anyone owns one i would like to hear - and see some up close images of it. What are the specs like?