PDA

View Full Version here: : NEW! Celestron

ballaratdragons
29-01-2005, 09:29 PM
I am absolutely amazed at how cheap (in USA) the new Celestron CPC super-duper, fandangled, got-everything with-knobs-on-it, computerised, global positioning telescope is.

The new CPC Series 8" starts at $1899

If only we paid those prices in Oz!

Check it out at www.celestron.com

ballaratdragons
30-01-2005, 10:03 PM
WHAT?

No-one has any comments? :confuse3:

[1ponders]
30-01-2005, 10:26 PM
By the response, one would tend to get an overall impression of how popular Celestrons are around here :D:P

Vermin
30-01-2005, 10:28 PM
I was dazzled by the pretty black and orange CATs :)

rumples riot
30-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Actually I did look at the ad for the scope, but they still don't have mirror lock, or a microfocusor.

The prices seem to be cheap, but that is a lot of money in the states for most people. And our prices are reflected by the dollar, freight and the margin that the retailer puts on because labour costs a lot of money in the country.

Anyway I agree, it would be nice to pay a lot less than we.

ballaratdragons
30-01-2005, 10:55 PM
To me it appears to be just another 'Looks Lovely & Scientific' item.

I imagine Oz shops will ask >$3000 for them.

westsky
30-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I think the lack of a mirror lock is because most times Celestron scopes don't need one , My 7 yr old C8 has never suffered from this and the new C11 had a small amount which I have been able to remove quite simply.

A microfocuser would be good though :-))

David.

[1ponders]
30-01-2005, 11:03 PM
The new C11 must be a bit different from the past ones (over 18mths) 'cause the one I've been trying to image on, using a ToUcam is a pain in the butt trying to keep the image on the chip while focusing. It can move much more than the width of the video viewing screen.

How have you removed this problem David. I'd love to be able to do something with the one I am using.

ballaratdragons
30-01-2005, 11:04 PM
David,

Your opinion on the New CPC?

westsky
30-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Same OTA, less price this is good , new drive system, this is the unknown till these scopes ship.

Why was it done,simple so Celestron would not have to keep paying $100.00US per scope in royalties to Meade.

David.

westsky
30-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Iponders,
I have removed all but a tiny amount, not enough that when I focus I lose the image from the screen using the LPI. Saturn moves about 1/2 the width of the rings still.
I don't know weather the focus knob is the same on the older C11 but this is how I did mine.
remove the rubber cover off the knob.
unscrew the three philips head screws .
this leaves the focus knob and focus shaft loose, just move it in and out for as much travel as you have.
This recoats the focus shaft with grease, replace all components do not overtighten the three screws when you put them back in, only tighten them enough to hold them in place,
you will have to play it by ear on the adjustment of these three screws too tight and the focuser will not work properly, too loose and you still get mirror shift.

hope this helps
David.

[1ponders]
31-01-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks for that David.

There isn't a rubber cover on the knob but I'll look for the screws, and give it a go. Some of the difference between us may also be in that the ToUcam has a smaller chip size than the LPI. What resolution are you using for the LPI? I'm usually using 352 X288 .

westsky
02-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Paul R just an update with the mirror shift on the C11, it's all gone I redid the focus removel as per previous post and now no mirror shift at all.I hope it stays that way.
cheers
David.
ps I image with the LPI set at 640x 480 ( I think )

[1ponders]
02-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Looks like I'd better plan a trip up the mountain to do some maintenance.