PDA

View Full Version here: : Atoms for Peace galaxy

astroron
10-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Just in from ESO this is a fantastic image :thumbsup:
http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1044/

CraigS
11-11-2010, 06:50 AM
Yes great image, Ron thanks kindly for the post .. there's a few videos of this one floating around, also.

I seem to always have a good chuckle at the ESO releases, nowadays.

Here they are telling the story of a merger implying cataclysmic catastrophies:

and then they suddenly realise the concern they're causing the reader (because of their propensity for hype), so they reverse the spin in the final paragraphs:

I mean like .. we'll bury the possibility of the Sun/Earth getting ripped out of its comfy place in the M. W. galaxy and find itself amongst bursts of star formation, and implant a thought along the lines of don't worry about us getting wiped out by a head-on star-Sun collisions, though .
!!!??!!!
:lol:

Funny stuff (apart from the delivery, I do find the content to be very interesting) ..
:)
Cheers
PS: Mind you, the US journos and NASA releases have their own type of hype too .. just different to ESOs. Ahh .. interesting times !! :)

Suzy
11-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Wow, great pic!!! Thanks Ron :).

I found this one line particularly interesting...

"The result was the formation of hundreds of very young star clusters, around 50 to 500 million years old, which are speculated to be the progenitors of globular clusters."

The sooner we come to really understanding globs, the better.

Craig, some of it sounds like an American doco- "ripped out", as if it happens in seconds :lol:. But all in all, a good informative read :thumbsup:.

CraigS
11-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Goodness me !!
All of the celebrities have turned up in the Science Forum tonight !!
Next thing ya know .. it might be Travolta himself !!
:)
Cheers