PDA

View Full Version here: : Skywatcher 14" / 16" push-to vs Go-To

stevejack
06-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi all,

I am looking into upgrading my scope. I have a 10" dob at the moment, but really want auto-tracking. Go-to is not a must (or even a want really) but I do want a way to find objects - push-to would be perfect.

From what I can see, the auto-tracking scopes have no database of objects is that correct? so there is no way to locate objects with just the auto-track version?

I like the 14" Go-To from skywatcher. I've also heard of the 16" coming soon (who knows when?).

Other than these options, is there another scope available in Oz that I've overlooked in the same price range ($3-4k) that still offers auto-tracking but perhaps uses push-to rather than go-to?

Cheers all

Sylvain
07-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Hi Steve,

I am not especially familiar with dobs goto, but every goto scope i've seen (tracking scope) comes with a database of objects the scope is able to automatically point to - this is the point of the goto after all!
Now, maybe some scope are only able to track and not goto? I have never came across any, except maybe for personal realisations or eq tables for dobs.

For dobs, I am not sure i would like to have a goto system though. Unless it can easily be disengaged. One of the beauty of the dob is its ability to be pointed anywhere in the sky just by hand without having to use motors. I believe a goto system would prevent that unless it can be disengaged and re-engaged in a flash or unless a clever system has been developed.

Push to systems can be acquired separately and installed on compatible scope.
Sorry i do not know enough about dobs to give a better advice but i hope it somehow helps.
And I have to agree - push to are great! Just have a close look at what the tracking let you do (able to move the scope my hand or not).

Sylvain

Barrykgerdes
07-11-2010, 06:50 AM
There is only one controller that I know of that can be fitted to a dob to make it track objects. It is the Tech 2000 DOB 11 driver. It uses a stepper motor drive system and to make it track you look through the scope for two or three minutes at your selected object and use the controls to keep it centered. After this it works out a track rate and direction and then follows automatically.

I have had one keep an object in view for over an hour. It uses friction drives that are easily disengaged for normal push operation.

It does have a way to connect it to the older computers that have an LPT port to make it into a Goto telescope complete with database of objects.

With this controller you can also use an Argo Navis to supply DSC's for object location. However the cost of attaching these accessories to a DOB will probably be more than a similar sized DOB with a goto already fitted.

Barry

tlgerdes
07-11-2010, 07:47 AM
The StellarCat is designed to be fitted to Dobs to give them tracking ability. Combine it with and Argo Navis to get GOTO.

Skywatcher have both Auto-Tracking and GOTO Auto-Tracking dobs.

stevejack
07-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info everyone,
I have looked at the stellarcat system. I thought about putting it and the argo on a 16" GSO or lightbridge dob which would total around $4.5k.

Otherwise there is the 14" go-to from skywatcher for just shy of $4k locally or $2800 at andrews. I really want to buy local but might have to wait until a new shipment of stock arrives (with a better exchange rate).

The 14" go-to is tempting in any case. It's just that I don't NEED go-to, I would be happy with push-to and tracking. So given that I can sacrifice Go-To I was wondering what else was out there that might be slightly cheaper than the Skywatcher 14".

It's good to have choices ;)

gb_astro
09-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Steve.

What about the Orion Skyquest XX14i Truss Dob.
It is push-to with a 14000 object database in it's hand contoller.

gb.

andrew2008
10-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Skywatcher 14" with Argo Navis DTC. More capable than the intelliscope for a touch less money.

stevejack
10-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys, I did look at all those options. I like the Orion with intelliscope but really wanted tracking. Same deal with adding an argo to a vanilla scope (probably would have chosen the GSO or Lightbridge 16").

I ended up with the 14" Skywatcher Go-To. Won't get a chance to try this under cloudless skies until the weekend but I'll report back when I do.

I did plug in the controller and looked at the database of objects and tried out the slewing.
It sure beats my old method of Analog setting circles, a digital angle finder and a laptop with Stellarium :D

Also - a bit of a plug for Midland Camera House in Perth. They had the scope on display, in stock and at a good price (for WA). They also offer free delivery the same day after work. Very happy with the service from there.

Gas Giant
10-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi Steve and others.

I've been hoping to hear some discussion from someone who's purchased a Skywatcher go-to Dob.

Your dilemma was almost identical to mine, Steve, apart from that I already have an Argo Navis installed on my 10" Dob. What I've been pondering for some time (a lack of finances and technical expertise tends to cause pondering for a long time:lol:) how to get the telescope to track.

I've looked into the Dob Driver II mentioned by Barry and at Equatorial platforms; then along came these large aperture go-to dobs at prices that you make me tend to feel that spending any more money on my current 'scope would be a waste.

So i'm seiously considering selling off my current gear and making a purchase like yours, Steve - keep the reports coming;)

Cheers
Andrew

gb_astro
10-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Steve, my mistake.
I thought the Orion 14xxi had tracking but now I see that it doesn't.
I am sure you will be happy with the Skywatcher.
GoTo is a luxury that is very easy to get used to.

gb.

Rick Petrie
10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Guys
I have the Orion 14XXi Intelliscope and no it doesn't have Goto or tracking, only push to. However there is a new model called the 14XXg which has both. Not sure what the new model costs here in Oz but with the dollar how it is, it would be a good buy.
The following link gives the info maybe needed.
Cheers Rick
http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=trusstubedobs/~pcategory=dobsonians/~product_id=08954 (http://www.telescope.com/control/product/%7Ecategory_id=trusstubedobs/%7Epcategory=dobsonians/%7Eproduct_id=08954)
PS The XX14i Computerised Object Locator has a database of 14,000 whereas the XX14g Goto Controller has a database of 42,000. I do not know how efficient or comprehensive the XX14g is though.

synthguy
23-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Hi,

I've got an Orion Optics UK 14" F4 Dob, which is purely manual - no digital setting circles, GOTO - absolute seat of the pants astronomy. This scope is great to use in a dark sky setting, but in Canberra, its a challenge given the light pollution. Plus its BIG and damned heavy! So its not a scope to put in a small car and carry to a dark sky site.

As a result, I'm looking at selling it, and replacing it with one of the new Skywatcher GOTO Dobs - probably a 12", just to make it a bit more manageable. These impress me, and seem to have received good reviews on the various astronomy forums. I'm wondering if anyone has used a Skywatcher GOTO 12' Dob (mainly for visual), and what their thoughts are on it?

My alternative is to get a HEQ5 Synscan Pro mount and put my 4" Apo OTA on that, and then upgrade to a larger OTA later. A more flexible option, but also more expensive overall, and from what I can see, a bit more fiddly to set up for a night under the stars. I'd be mainly looking for visual astronomy with DSOs, but eventually get some experience in imaging with either CCD or DSLR.

I'd appreciate any advice.

thanks,

Malcolm