PDA

View Full Version here: : Extended USB

Baldrik
04-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi all

I'm finding the mozzies are getting me down so I was wondering if anyone has found a way to drive their gear, via USB to a hub on the scope, from
say 20 meters (or more) ?

Ive found a couple mortgage enhancing solutions ($500-1000) but I'll let them pass as I still need to eat.

Currently driving off my laptop next to the scope but as I said the wild life is getting worse.

Thanks

B

ballaratdragons
04-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Hi Baldrick, you can use 5m boosted USB leads in daisy chain up to around 20m with a powered hub in the middle but after that there is just too much data loss, and the 5 volts start to struggle.

Beware of adverts that say their USB cable booster will boost up to 30m etc, coz they are only USB 1.0, not USB 2.0

These are the items you need:
4 boosted USB2 cables - they look like this http://www.getprice.com.au/USB-2-0-5M-EXTENSION-CABLE-BOOSTER-REPEATER-=new=-Gpnc_0--43618166.htm
1 powered Hub

If you Have a Hub at the scope that will help.
So your connection method will be:

Scope Hub > 5m boosted USB lead > 5m boosted USB lead > powered hub > 5m boosted USB lead > 5m boosted USB lead > PC

mithrandir
04-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Ethernet to another computer and use one of the remote desktop programs? 100Mb is almost as good as being on the keyboard. Gigabit might not run at Gb speed even with Cat6 cable, but does not need a hub or cross-over cable. Not all laptops/notebooks have Gb.
One of those small tents intended for a shower or toilet, run the cables through the door and zip it shut?

mill
04-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Leave the lappy outside and use a computer inside with both running tightvnc.

RobF
04-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I use a 5m Jaycar active usb cable connect to a 2m cable off my 4port usb hub. That hub connects to :
- EQMOD/Heq5 cable for mount control
- FCUSB for focus control
- QHY9 camera
- Orion Starshoot autoguider

All works happily from inside - I'm lucky enough that 7m is all I need to get inside the back doors and have the lappy (and me) secure from cold/hot/mozzies...:)
Still have to head in and out to put Bhatinov mask in our out, or lock focus.

I sometimes run the laptop through VNC from my main desktop upstairs through N band wireless quite happily too. Another bonus with having the lappy indoors is you can have the volume right up and hear the alarm if you lose the guidestar from most places in the house.....

I still setup outside whenever I can just to "get away from it all" though....

Tandum
05-11-2010, 01:57 AM
This is what I've been doing at home. Just picked up a eee box for capture/control, so I should be able to use the lappy to vnc to the eee box in future.

astronut
05-11-2010, 10:39 AM
The cheapest is mosquito coils and repellent.:):lol::lol::lol:

TrevorW
05-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Never leave it alone it'll do the strangest things when you are not looking

Baldrik
08-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks very much everyone for your help - I'll try the boosted cable way and let you know how I get on.

If I don't get back soon - A Very Merry Xmas to you all ! With hopes for a cloud free 2011. :)

B