PDA

View Full Version here: : How do you trick a CG-5...

rochler
10-01-2006, 11:45 PM
ASGT mount? The really stupid thing with these mounts (otherwise they're great so far) is that they can't seem to handle CST time i.e. you can put your timezone in as +9hrs or +10hrs but not +9.5.

But presumably there is an easy workaround - just change the time in the handset to 'offset' the difference in timezone. But which way? If I set the timezone in the handset as +10hrs (e.g. like Sydney) but I am in Adelaide, do I add half hour to my local time? Will that compensate correctly for the timezone diff?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, it's probably obvious to everyone else but I always seem to get these things the wrong way around....

Cheers & thx, Fred....:nerd:

Stu
11-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Minus half plus ten equals 9.5 to me. Try it, see what happens I guess.

Is there a firmware upgrade you can get?

ballaratdragons
11-01-2006, 10:22 PM
Save-O-Meter: |$$---------------------------------| (each "$" sign = $200, man that's depressing...)
Estimated time to First Light: 2.5 light years :lol:

Sorry, I can't help you Fred. Maybe just go to the nearest hour :confused:

Stu
12-01-2006, 08:22 PM
2.5 light years! tell me about it.:rolleyes: :prey: :help: :o

I give my self about 25% chance of going all the way to an NP101 and about 75% chance of stopping at $4300 and geting the TV102.

There should be poll.:P

rochler
13-01-2006, 01:17 PM
I'll try the minus 30 mins to local time - see if that makes a difference. It probably isn't a big issue anyhow, the mount seems to GOTO beautifully once aligned & calibrated. It probably only makes a difference to how far out it is when it goes to the first couple of alignment stars?

Anyhow, thx!

What r u saving up for houghy? A nice RCX mebbe?

h0ughy
13-01-2006, 02:25 PM
me save - only for the next scope. maybe a large light bucket!

no fix I know of for that, don't they have a site somewhere for those who own obscure celestron equipment

sheeny
13-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Hmmm, lets see... if its 10 o'clock here, it's going to be 9:30 where you are... I'd say use +10 hours like you're in Sydney, and ADD 30 minutes to your local time. Nice to meet a fellow CG5 owner:) .

Hope that helps!;)

Al.

rochler
13-01-2006, 06:10 PM
O.k. I'll try that. You can see why I'm confused - I've got answers both ways now hehe!

Yep, I'm happy with the CG-5, seems to work great for me. It will certainly do me unless I get an OTA bigger than 9.25 - then it might be a tad light.

Pity you can't update the HC firmware - are their any mods. you're aware of - apart from upgrading the entire HC that is?

Cheerio 4 now, Fred.... :face:

Striker
13-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Tell it's a CG-4...no that will only confuse it...
Maybe tell it's a blonde...no that will make it look stupid

Ok I give up...how do you trick a CG-5.

westsky
13-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi Fred, that mount had the latest upgrade from Celestron done by myself sorry I don't have the update box as I borrowed one to do the upgrade, You can make a box if your electronically minded
I,m glad you like the mount, it is one of the better ones.

cheers
david.