PDA

View Full Version here: : Tubes?

Suzy_A
10-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm building a new telescope - a 10" F4. I now have everything except for the tube...

I once made up a tube using large diameter cardboard tubing that I fibreglassed and this worked really well. However I am unable to find anyone that supplies it in Western Australia. I contacted a place in Melbourne, but the shipping cost to Perth was more than the actual cost of the tube.

Does anyone know if it is available in WA?

Suzy

Robert_T
10-01-2006, 06:00 PM
don't know about WA, I did the same thing in Brisbane many many moons ago. I bought the tube from a construction company supplier who sold the tubes as moulds for concrete pillars - I'd be very surprised if they aren't available in Perth somwhere.

sorry couldn't be of more help and good luck with your quest:)

gbeal
10-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Like Robert said, try a local hardware/builders supply store. The stuff is Sonotube, or Formatube. You will need the 12" size, and the last lot I bought was only in 3 meter lengths. If you can find a local scope builder you may get a half that hasn't been used. I did.

Suzy_A
10-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Hi folks,

I phoned everyone in the phonebook under 'Tubes - cardboard and fibre' and 'Concrete formwork' and 'Packaging - cardboard and fibre' and no one was of much help in WA. I tried Amcor and Boral who have it on their WWW pages. Amcor said phone Sonoco in Melbourne who said their minimum purchase is $500 plus shipping. Boral said "No, we don't sell that stuff". I said "It's on your web page." They said "No it's not". I said "What's your email address? I email you the link." They said "#$@% ^^)*#$!!!"

Suzy

mick pinner
10-01-2006, 07:49 PM
hi Suzy, if you want to pm me some details l could make you a tube to suit from either steel or aluminium, l could also find out a shipping cost as well.

vorblesnak
04-02-2006, 11:41 AM
I make tubes from foam insulation or from cardboard packing boxes. They're not as nice as the sonotubes, but they do the job. You might make a form out of cardboard and wrap it with cloth and fiberglass the cloth. With a bit of forethought you could glass in some wooden stress points to mount various things to.

David Davis
Toledo, Oregon 97391