PDA

View Full Version here: : ITN: Most Massive Neutron Star

CraigS
28-10-2010, 07:10 AM
In the News - astronomers have discovered the most massive neutron star yet - 1.97 times as massive as our Sun. It was found in binary system accompanied by a white dwarf. Its a medium paced spinner also (less than half of the fastest discovered which was 716 times per second). Its still pretty fast in my books, though ;)

Astronomers discover most massive neutron star yet known (w/ Video) (http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-10-astronomers-massive-neutron-star.html)

But the really big news is that many of the exotic material models, which talk about what neutron stars are made of, can be ruled out as not viable. It supports the concept of mainly compacted neutron matter.

They are also saying that the idea of a particular type of Gamma Ray Burst, (GRB), being caused by colliding neutron stars, is now supported by this discovery as a viable mechanism.

Very interesting discovery.

Cheers

CraigS
28-10-2010, 03:07 PM
I also notice that Feryal Ozel, of the University of Arizona, is the lead author of a second paper which examines what might be happening with any quarks left over, in the core.

She appeared on the History Channel 'The Universe' series .. for any documentary groupies (like me) out there.

Cheers