PDA

View Full Version here: : Somthing BIG to HIKE with?

Davekyn
27-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi guys,
Thinking of getting some gear back, but this time I want to be able to carry all my gear in one hand-and tripod in the other. I want to be able to do this for quite a distance as well…the idea is to take hiking with me and I’m not talking ultra-light…I hike with heavy gear.

The ED80 F7 scope I once had would be something I could easily carry in one hand…but was hoping to get something I could see more with…Binos are great and I have a pair of 15X70, but after having been spoilt with a 12” Dob…I’m finding hard to hit a balance on portability and wow factor. I’m just going to have to change my observing expectations and habits.

I am thinking about a Binocular telescope setup from Garret:
http://www.garrettoptical.com/Garrett-100mm-Binocular-Telescope-p/gt100-45.htm
The case looks handy enough (light enough for me)

I won’t get much magnification, yet I’ll get more than my 15X70 ever could
I might be able to do some more in-depth viewing on the moon.
Shame the tripod is not included in the price
I like being able to change the mag even if still down somewhat

Might have to go with a standard 25X100 and good tripod though as was only looking around $1200...I guess mount will have to be really good with heaps of movement.

Thoughts anyone?

MikeyB
29-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Monster binoculars like those Garretts aren't made to be moved around, much less taken out hiking - there's a reason the product page you linked to mentions user adjustable collimation as a product feature!

I reckon your best bet might be a pair of Canon Image Stabilisation binoculars - the 18 x 50 will give you big bang for your buck and there's no need to buy (or lug) a tripod at all. Waterproof too and perfect for hiking if you want to do some birdwatching or just look at the views along the way.

Davekyn
30-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks for your reply Mike.
Good point on collimation. I will focus on that. "lug" is an excellent word, its what I do when i Hike and what I was trying to describe I will be doing.

Ok. Youve talked me out of that selection and I'll get somthing more rugged. Whilst I understand your choice on 50mm, it's way to small. I'm typing this off the side of a hill that I lugged 20 odd kg's of gear pluss my 15x70 elcheapo binos.

Contrary to popular belief, I do exceptionaly well with such a pair for my needs.
I'm very grateful for your response all the same! You have helped clarify my thinking and made some excellent points. When i finaly lug myself and gear home :eyepop: I'll refine my search whith collimation, ruggeredness & go down in size all round including mount. Should be a good result in the end I feel, that leads me to somthing BIG that suits me well for what I intend.
Thanks again Mike

andrew2008
30-10-2010, 09:45 AM
There is a thread on spotting scopes in the beginners section. Sounds like that could be what you are looking for. 100ED with a few eyepieces could work.

dannat
30-10-2010, 09:58 AM
i agree the 100mm BT's are too heavy for hiking - a spotting scope may be a good bet - a 100mm one if you need some aperture
i have an etx90 which a binoviewer can fit on alright.
garrett does sell a very nice 70mm bino telscope (about 83mm monocular view equivalent) you can push to about 40x. i had a chance to look rthru one while in the US & they were very nice

Kal
30-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Speaking of ETX90's have you considered one? You would have about the same light gathering abilities as an 80mm refractor with a 1.25m focal length, with a full goto and tracking base that doesn't need a tripod so long as you can find a flat and stable surface to sit it on.

Davekyn
30-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Thank you guys. All very good options. Currently scoping out the:
ETX-90AT 90mm f/13.8 Mak
from Andrews.com ...

The higher focal length would be great for planets and the like...been a while since I had that option! I'm not opposed to the idea of carrying a mount...within reason...lets say 5kg Max.

The longer Focal Ratios will require equilateral or go/to control, which may require heavier mounts...Still weighing it all up:)

That scope really does look I could Bag it inside my pack...(safely at that)
I would simply put my tent on the outside with a few other items. Indeed...very tempting and glad you mentioned it!

Still considering just getting plain old Binos's...but with respect to ruggedness and possibly an ED set at 80mm...I'm sure the mount required for those would not exceed 5kg if it all?

What intrigues me after having checked out the EXT90s...is the possability about checking out stars in better details...perhaps? As in deeper views...variable stars...doubles???...just stuff that I could not do with my 15X70 Binos... Any thoughts on that would be great.

It would be great to pull something out of the pack that could do more than just scan...then again...perhaps I have not really studied the heavens properly with a MOUNTED PAIR of GOOD QUALITY BINO's???

Thanks for your input-hope others out there might get something out of this as well...much appreciated!

Davekyn
30-10-2010, 01:16 PM
This is something a little bit different...interesting to say the least!
http://www.craigcolvin.com/Astronomy/BinocularMirror.html

AND:
http://www.backyard-astro.com/equipment/skywindow.html

GrampianStars
30-10-2010, 05:25 PM
:thumbsup: Back in my younger days I'd go hiking with a 8" SCT, Tripod, backpack with eyepieces and food n' water all up 70-80 lbs of gear.
was 50% of my body weight :lol:

Davekyn
30-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Someone who understands me!!!:)
I had some major success today by creating a mono pod with my two Trekking Poles tied together to make a big one. The rubber hand hold on top of the pole grips under my 15X70 Binos well, allowing for the focus knob to be turned and suport the downward pressure evenly. By wraping Neck sling of the Binos around my elbow in much the same fashion a marksman would his sling of a rifle...I had considerable control either standing or sitting...better standing though.

Still not the BIG Idea I was after...but it's always nice to work out new things like that.

dannat
30-10-2010, 11:41 PM
david you get trek poles which have a 1/4" tripos soccket on them - i have one, its a lightweight though

bartman
31-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Maybe you could ask StrongManMike to accompany you? Check out his profile pic holding a big scope with ease:lol:.
Bartman

mercedes_sl1970
31-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi - if you were still thinking about binos, how about the Garrett 15x or 22x85 binos? They're supposed to be quite good and have been reviewed on Cloudynights. Alternatively, you could go with something like an 8 inch dob that collapses down into a box, eg.: http://www.synrgistic.com/astro/telescopes/traveler.htm

Just a thought or two...

Andrew

Davekyn
31-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Yea, I saw one of those Daniel…the one I saw seem to compromise the handle of the trekking pole which I am a perfectionist with…however seeing as they are lightweight, the very thought of getting on alone to simply hang on my pack is well worth contemplating…good idea!...I guess the irony to that is that I was originally thinking about using my free hands to carry my observing equipment. It’s funny how ones thinking changes as we contemplate thing a little deeper.

LOL bartman…your right though…having someone along with similar interests would indeed half the weight!

THANK YOU ANDREW!!!! Now where talking…
I need to replace my 15X70s as it is due to the optical bridge breaking during transport in one of my hiking sessions…lesson learnt on transporting none the less…I will most certainly check those binos out, however have found the 15X70s just the right size to gently pack atop of my pack under the upper hood…

I’ve been pondering on an 8 inch version of what you just linked…and indeed I will now endeavour to seriously check that out…the components carried between two avid backpackers looks very doable indeed…hell, I think I could pull it off going with a light load in regards to hiking needs.

Checking out links now and many thanks to you all for your continued support :thumbsup:

Davekyn
31-10-2010, 11:15 PM
http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/37
This is perfect...where can I buy one!!!
How hard would it be to make my own...I am really interested in this concept...I could really do some challenging observations and have the satisfaction of having hiked with such a thing.

http://lefevre.darkhorizons.org/tvscope/travelscp.htm
You can tell I'm getting excited now...I found a 6 inch version @ F8 which could be good too...I'd be happy to play with that as well...particularly if its lighter.

mercedes_sl1970
31-10-2010, 11:52 PM
David - here's another, not cheap, but they look impressive: http://www.litescope.eu/

Andrew

davewaldo
01-11-2010, 12:20 AM
If you'd be happy with 6" f8, I'd lean more towards a 6" SCT, with a reducer this is only f6.3, should hold collimation quite well, and is sealed against dust. Light weight too!

Then just a short tripod and you could use it sitting on the ground. No need for gotos... A nice alt az tripod head would be good though if they aren't too heavy. Or if you're keen you could build a dob style mount for the SCT.

What do you think? If you wanted bigger a 7" Mak would be cool or if size is less of an issue an 8" SCT would give wonderful views.

Kal
01-11-2010, 08:19 AM
I must admit, that is a pretty cool looking travel dob! Have you tried emailing him to see if he will share the plans?

mental4astro
01-11-2010, 10:54 AM
I second the Litescope style.

And here is what another clever dick has done to their newtonian, which is no bigger than a box for a pair of boots when closed down:

http://www.biophysik.uni-freiburg.de/Reiner/ATM/atm_e.html

Mental.

Davekyn
02-11-2010, 08:25 AM
THANK YOU very much guys...I have been out of the loop in these forums for some times due to the not long ago sale of my astronomy gear. For those that know me well...I tend to get wound up tightly and delve right into things, just before I pull myself back at the last moment...I over analyze things too often...but then again I also make pretty good purches based on such behaviors:).

What I'm trying to say is...I think I have reached my limit of taking all this wisdom in...and indeed, wise you all are. I am just so flat out and feel I need to slow down and reassess my hobbies and how each will reward the other, my making wise decisions myself.

The work that is comming up is not that much and a few weeks away...Once I know my budget and have thought more on how to best mingle my Backpacking/Trekking & Astronomy into one...I'll come back a lot more refreshed and with a clearer head to then better discuss the answer that best suits my needs.

Thanks heaps again...now I have to wait till that work comes and goes...what to do till then....:question::question::questi on: :screwy::D

White Rabbit
07-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Im sure that obsession scopes do a back pack dob that folds up into avery neat box, ill have a dig around and see if i can find the article i read.

White Rabbit
07-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Here you go

http://www.obsessiontelescopes.com/telescopes/15_UC/index.html

White Rabbit
07-11-2010, 10:02 AM
The price is alittle over your budget i just noticed sorry.

Davekyn
12-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks white Rabit,
I have to pay off my car first :lol: I wish my wife could understand getting a loan our for such a thing, however we are maxed out as it is.
Looks like a really great travel scope but a little big for my purposes...& I know I said BIG :)

The difference in weight from an 8" to 10" alone would be significant let alone a 15". But WOW that would be an awesome scope to own.

Here is an example of something I have found that fits pretty close to doable in a back pack.
http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1115

I've ended up in the ATM section & the guys there seem to really know there stuff. I think I will be in no rush on this one, but instead focus on learning the finer points to building such a thing. That way I may just give it a go myself in due time & come up with my own backpack design, without too many comprimises.

Thanks again:thumbsup: