PDA

View Full Version here: : Gso rc scope

pjphilli
24-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi
I see that Lee Andrews has GSO Ritchey Chretien 8in f8 scopes for $1399.
This seems a bargain? Has anyone had experience with this RC?
I would intend to use it with my modified Canon 400D.
Comments would be appreciated.
Cheers Peter

Alchemy
24-10-2010, 10:13 PM
You will find a few around have used it.... HAGAR, PAUL HAESE, in particular, the early models needed a bit of tweaking as they had some flaring on bright objects, the focusers seem to have been replaced by most that have bought it, going to a feathertouch focuser mainly. Hose who have bought seem to have flocked the inside from what I have seen

It can produce sharp images, but at f8 you need a good mount.
HAGAR has gone on to buy the 10 inch version so he must like the scope generally...... Give him a PM for a more detailed update.

Moon
24-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Peter,
What mount are you planning to use? I'm not sure if an EQ5 would be up to the task - some nights I really struggled even with my EQ6.
Yes it's good value and lots of people using it these days (my examples can be seen HERE (http://deepspaceplace.com/images.php?sort=Date&filter=GSO8RC)), but you need to consider how you will be doing the guiding before jumping in.
James

pmrid
25-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Yes, they're a lovely scope provided you get one of the second/later generation ones with the more robust focuser and the reworked baffle tube. The earlier ones had serious issues with both.
I had one on an EQ6 and had no difficulty with guiding. I would put it on an EQ5 but only if I was going to guide with an Off-Axis guider and therby avoid the extra weight of a guide-scope and associated piggy-ack or side-by-side bars. It is pressing towards the weight limits of an EQ5 ut ifm you are well balanced, you may get by. But it will be more prone to various guiding ills that say an EQ6.
Peter

pjphilli
25-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi - thanks for the prompt replies.
Clive - The contacts will be useful for further follow up.
James - I intend to use it on my HEQ5Pro mount. I examined your images and am impressed with the nice round stars and the clearness/good definition of the images.
Peter - My mount is a HEQ5Pro and I would intend to use the RC with a side by side or piggybacked Meade 80mm apo refractor, weight 3.6kg (which makes a very good guide scope with QHY5/PHD). I think the combination would be within the maximum loading (16kg?) of this mount. Thanks for heads up on the focuser quality and baffle tube which I will follow up.
Cheers Peter

TrevorW
26-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Both scopes on an HEQ5

????

Paul Haese
26-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Still got mine. I bought the third one in Australia. I had to reflock the baffle tube and buy a new focusor. It produces sharp images now. Click on my website in my signature and take a look around in the DSO section. Plenty of RC images there. I think the Horse head is my best image with the scope. Worth the money and way cheaper than what I paid too.

pjphilli
27-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks Paul and Trevor for the additional advice. I have just spent some time looking around your web site Paul - very inspiring! I have been talking to Luke at Andrew Lees. He was aware of the focuser and baffle tube reflection problems but he assures me that they now stock RCs that have rectified both of these problems. I will go over to Greystanes tomorrow and have a good look at their 8in RC. And Trevor, as far as all up weight on the HEQ5Pro - I have had about the same weight with my Mak (which is pretty heavy) and 80mm refractor and guiding etc appeared fine - so fingers crossed! Cheers Peter

Zaps
29-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Does anyone know when the new 10" and 12" f8 GSO RCs will become available in Australia? As told to me, the 10" OTA is carbon fiber or Al, while the 12" is Al only, but with a 3" 'linear bearing' focuser, and both models feature entirely quartz mirrors.

davewaldo
29-10-2010, 07:10 PM
The 10" is available now.... Several people on this site use them :)

pjphilli
30-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi
Just a follow up on my original question re RC 8in f8 scope for those who may be have been following this thread.
I have just bought one and quick tests last night showed that I had to screw 1 1/2 of the extenders provided in front of the Crayford focuser to get my Canon 400D nicely in the centre of the Crayford focuser range.
The all up weight of the scope with a piggbacked Meade 80mm refractor,
cameras etc is about 12.5Kg which is easily handled by my HEQ5Pro mount (max limit 14Kg I understand) and the RC guided well using the 80mm f6 Meade as a guide scope with PHD software.
I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of focusing with the 10:1 vernier giving nice round stars and the flatness of the images.
One little problem that I have noticed with Crayford focusers is that when the locking screw is tightened to preserve the focus position it causes the focus to shift a bit, but this is a minor quibble.
Cheers Peter