PDA

View Full Version here: : Drift Alignment using PHD

Yoddha
21-10-2010, 12:33 AM
This link was posted in other forum, but because I think that is very handy, decided to post it here:

http://njstargazer.org/PolarAlignment.asp

Excuse me if it is already discussed here!

allan gould
21-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for that - very useful.

madwayne
21-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Ivo

Thank you so much, I normally guide with Maxim but find Polar Align Max a pain to use. I'll definitely be giving PHD a go and trying this next time I setup.

Thanks again and clear skies to you.

Wayne

bartman
21-10-2010, 01:00 PM
I was just reminded about Alignmaster just a few hours ago.
On paper it looks great and easy to use and by the practical experience from this person ( that reminded me about it), the use of it is a breeze. Aligned in 5 mins....
I'm yet to try, but will be in future. Will let you know.
Bart

Jutscher
21-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Nice, sounds a lot simpler than waiting for the visual drift that I usually attempt (with mixed success)
Will give it a go in a couple of weeks
Thanks

adman
21-10-2010, 01:36 PM
This is a great method of polar aligning - using the sub-pixel capabilities of PHD really reduces the time it takes to get great alignment.

You can see within 10 seconds of making a change whether it was too much or too little, or even simply in the right direction.

Adam

allan gould
27-10-2010, 03:10 PM
I used Alignmaster to get very close to polar alignment then used the PHDguiding sequence to adjust the rest of the way. I now have no DEC drift at all in 30 min.
Using these 2 programs makes alignment a dream not a nightmare. Highly recommended.

davewaldo
27-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Thank you for posting this! I used to enjoy using K3CCDtools for this procedure however my current guidecam (QHY5) does not work with it.

I already use PHD and I'm stoked to discover I can use it to drift align!

Cheers

DavidTrap
27-10-2010, 04:38 PM
It's quite similar in concept to Drift Explorer in K3CCDTools, but has the advantage of working with a SSAG / QHY5.

Will give it a try - thanks!

Cheers
DT

White Rabbit
31-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks for posting this.

I have a question though. Would someone mind posting a pic of their graph before and after using this method.

My dy line seems to zig zag above and below the centre line, is that normal.

Thanks

tlgerdes
01-11-2010, 08:51 AM
That's most probably PE in your mount. How much are you drifting by? Remember, you are not guiding, you are just watching what you mount is doing.

If, over the period of a few minutes, it stays within 1-2 pixels of the centre line, then you should be able to guide out your errors.