PDA

View Full Version here: : weight system for the lx90 finished

5ash
08-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Have now finished the 3D balance system for the lx90. Weights were fabricated by glueing huge washers together (each weighing about 90gram) to make multiple weights ( 0.6kg. .4Kg, 0.2 Kg & 0.1 Kg Approx). See attached pics.The weights have been tried and the scope easily balanced in 3D with a canon 350D attached via another homemade bracket ( similar to support rail brackets). See pics of Scope balanced horizontally and vertically. I was suprised after balancing how smoothly the scope moved and stayed pointed without tightning the clutches. I think even an alt/azi mounted lx90 would benefit being balanced this way. The load off the gears and motors would be most beneficial in the long term. Total cost to date less than $15 and constructed using very simple tools tools .
philip

Ps I did change the nuts on the rail for wing nuts and spring washers as i did observe some slippage

Robert_T
08-01-2006, 08:22 PM
great stuff and for $15!!! I wonder how many hundred for the commercial version?

cheers,

Astroman
08-01-2006, 10:00 PM
great stuff, looks very professional.

ballaratdragons
08-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Satisfaction plus! Well done Ash.

Doesn't it always feel better when something we make works! It's an extra bonus when it looks good too.

Beats opening a cardboard box every time.

Hitchhiker
09-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Fantastic result - looks great! :thumbsup: