PDA

View Full Version here: : Is this Eta Carina's Future?

avandonk
15-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Iteresting SN inside dust cloud found by the Spitzer IR telescope.

More detail here

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101012113832.htm

Maybe we should be looking for a sudden brightening in IR rather than visible.

Bert

Rob_K
15-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Good stuff Bert! I saw this story yesterday and was immediately taken by the science at work here, 'hidden' in the hoopla of the media release. So they have an 'anomolous' observation which they model against what we do know of these things, and then point out how their hypothesis can be tested - ie if the modelling is correct, WISE should see certain things at a certain rate and we should see a visible brightening of the object in 10 years time. Media releases so often can be taken as bald statements of 'fact' but really they represent pretty arbitrary points in a constant series of feedback loops that progress our understanding of the Universe.

Cheers -

Alchemy
15-10-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't know if eta Carina has enough dust around it to hide it, I suspect not. However open to evidence to the contrary

CraigS
15-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Its interesting to note that this observation was made as the object peaked at a mid-infra-red absolute magnitude of about -24.2 in the 4.5 micron Spitzer/IRAC band. This band remains productive nonetheless, after the liquid He depletion of Spitzer, in late 2009.

The WISE telescope is referred to at the end of the article as the place to look for more of them:

From Wiki:

WISE has already completed one total sky coverage survey, in July of this year.

Cheers

Suzy
20-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Wow that was a great informative read! :)

astroron
20-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for posting that Birt :thumbsup: A very interesting read.
I had missed this thread completely:thanx:

Rob_K
20-10-2010, 02:21 PM
And people are not only looking at its future, they're constantly combing its past as well. This paper provides new analysis of the Great Eruption:

http://arxiv4.library.cornell.edu/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1010/1010.3719v1.pdf

Cheers -