PDA

View Full Version here: : DSI Pro II vs SAC 10

seeker372011
08-01-2006, 11:16 AM
My Atik looks like its given up the ghost so I need a replacement. Rather than a one for one replacement, I am thinking of either the SAC 10 or the even newer Meade DSI Pro II..I guess what I am looking for is not just a guide camera but also an imager I could use for H Alpha imaging which is sort of out of reach with my unmodded Canon.

So two questions:
Has anyone seen or is aware of real user feedback on either of these cameras? ( as opposed to people who beta tested or tried out pre production protypes?)

Secondly does this combining these two requirements make sense- for example why not just get an LPI or a modded TouCam (I find I need longer exposure so a regular Toucam doesn't cut it for some faint fuzzies) for guiding and some day get a Hutech modded Canon, or a "proper" CCD

I have to say I am feeling seriously tempted by the DSI Pro II but my son (who is also my imaging partner) is arguing that I should go "real CCD" and get the SAC 10, for the bigger chip and the Peltier cooling. Apart from the fairly big difference in cost which will be a heavily weighted factor in making the decision, is what my son saying sensible (he's not paying so cost is of no concern for him(!)? I know I have an aftermarket option for cooling a DSI-the so called Outback cooler, but am not sure active cooling is that big a benefit because my exposure duration is limited by sky glow and mount and less by thermal noise. Is the bigger chip of the SAC 10 worth the several hundred dollars extra it's going to cost me (the price pushes it over the A$1000 customs threshold meaning I have to pay GST etc etc )

I'm obviously confused :confuse3: :confuse3: -(this is my ground state anyway I suppose) so any thoughts or advice most appreciated.
Narayan

westsky
08-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Hi Narayan, have you considered getting the mod done on the canon
I found this link to a Aussie who does the mod at what I think is a good price.
http://burren.cx/photo/ir_conversions.html
I have had no dealings with this bloke just found his website, but it might be worth dropping him an email.
I was going to send the 350D into Hutech, but have decided to do the mod myself, the replacement glass has been ordered and the daytime filter is on its way, so in a couple of weeks I should have a modded Canon or maybe a useless piece of junk :-))

cheers
David.

Striker
08-01-2006, 11:41 AM
I have no doubt the Sac 10 is better then any of the meade or soon to be released Meade Pro 2.

What scope are you going to use for either the Meade or Sac.

I have yet to see any decent results through a large aperture long focal length scope with the sac 10....Like I said it's really dedicated to short focal lengths like the ED80 thus the reason it being a 1/2" chip with small pixels giving it a high rezolution of 3.3 Megapixel.....thats very high REZ for such a small chip.

The 10's have only been out for about a month now but I still have not seen any images that have given me any reason to get excited about...but give them time.

If I only wanted to image through my ED80 then I would consider 1...thats my opinion.

Regarding a guide camera....it sounds a bit of a overkill and not only that the cheaper sac range like SAC 4,7,8.5,9 has a much more sensative chip the the SAC 10 anyway.