PDA

View Full Version here: : demineralised water for cleaning telescope mirrors

icytailmark
25-09-2010, 03:51 PM
is it ok to clean telescope mirrors with demineralised water? i could not find any distilled water in any supermarkets.

multiweb
25-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Bunnings. Paint section.

bird
25-09-2010, 05:31 PM
I've been using demineralised water bought from service stations (I guess meant for use in radiators) for many years to clean mirrors and it works just fine.

cheers Bird

icytailmark
25-09-2010, 05:59 PM
just cleaned my 12" mirror for the first time.I put the mirror in the sink with some warm water and a few drops of washing liquid. Let it sit in the water for 5 mins and swished it around a bit. rinsed the mirror with demineralised water.Now the mirror looks brand new again. :thumbsup:

multiweb
26-09-2010, 04:38 PM
On another note I have found Kimwipes terrific for lenses and mirrors. I bought boxes of the stuff.

space oddity
26-09-2010, 08:54 PM
If you come over, I have a water distiller at work- I can brew up more distilled water than I need. It is brewed up 4 litres at a time. Just bring your bottles.Say 6 litres at a time is on offer to IIS members. Work is at Ashfield, home in Bondi. If you are a member of ASNSW, I can bring some to meetings. Wonder if I should get another distiller for other things:P?