PDA

View Full Version here: : Non Astro - HELP

Hans Tucker
25-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi All,

I use Google as my search engine which has served me well up until yesturday. When I type say 'Iceinspace' in the search field it comes up with the selections ok but when I select the website I want it redirects me to a totally different website. It seems to keep redirecting me to where I don't want to go. I get around this by not using the search field and just typing the required website URL and I get to where I want. This is ok for websites I know but no good if I need to search. I have run virus checking and this comes up fine.

Anyone come across this before?

sheeny
25-09-2010, 12:39 PM
I have heard of a Google trojan before... can't remember the details though. I haven't experienced it directly.

Try this:

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/04/fixing-the-google-redirect-tro.html (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbroadcast.oreilly. com%2F2009%2F04%2Ffixing-the-google-redirect-tro.html&rct=j&q=google%20trojan&ei=s2CdTPufFY_EvQOsm7ixDQ&usg=AFQjCNHhSyIEeinqdGRuPDYm2xmg8SQ ddw&cad=rja)

Al.

supernova1965
25-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi Hans

I have come across this before I fixed it on my own network you have been hacked I am willing to bet that your ADSL modem has the original User name and Password depending on the brand Probably (ADMIN) (ADMIN) them being well known to all. What they have done is to sign in to your Modem and change the DNS settings to one that redirects to the other sites meanwhile loading your computers up with Trojans and viruses including fake Virus software looking for your credit card details. What you need to do is change your Username and Password to something you can remember but others wont know easily then sign in to your modem and reset the DNS to the one provided by your Service Provider then you need to get rid of the nasties that have been installed on your computer. I recommend using Malware Bytes and Spybot Search and Destroy both have free versions and are great you may have to start your computer in safemode by pressing F8 on boot of your computer. This is just if you cant do it in the normal OS running mode. Any more help I can give please ask.:thumbsup:

Hans Tucker
25-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks Al & Warren. I have identified the Trojan as Vundo.A3. Now I have to find a Anti-Virus to get rid of it. Currently I have loaded Norton's but that does not detect the Trojan. I was thinking of Kaspersky or PC Tools.

Also, Warren I am not accessing the Internet through an ADSL Modem..I am using Wiresless Broadband.

supernova1965
25-09-2010, 03:38 PM
That's great that you have found the problem I don't know much about Wireless modems but wouldn't they still have a DNS setting. I was trying for a week to clear it up and it kept coming back and it was effecting every computer on the network that's when I found the DNS change in my Modem.:thumbsup:

Hans Tucker
26-09-2010, 08:10 AM
DNS changes....I need to need to check this out as it is something I haven't ever thought about. The Trojan didn't appear as malicious as Trojan's are known to be but I think I need to remain vigilant to any after effects...I think I have rid my computer of this.

ZeroID
26-09-2010, 08:22 PM
McAfee will probably have a stinger download for Vundo. You may need to download it elsewhere though and burn to CD. Use the CD to reboot and it clobbers the dormant virus.