PDA

View Full Version here: : WD drives

AdrianF
20-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Anyone else having problems with WD drives?
I am about to claim warranty on my 3rd WD drive in as many months.
The particular model is the drives they put in the WD "The Book" external drive. I keep getting bad sectors on the drives.
Its not as if I am brutal with the drives as it sits on top of my desktop out of the way under my desk over a cooling fan in the PC case so cool air is drawn through the drives case.
I think I might just ask for my $$$ back and find another brand. At least my Maxtor drive works well even after being transported all over Qld in my laptop bag.

Adrian

acropolite
20-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I had the same problem with a WD drive in an Astone housing. Turns out the problem was with the USB housing, I removed the drive and installed in my PC, no problems since.

AdrianF
20-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I have installed the drive but no good. Decided not to bother with warranty and just pulled it apart. Tried to format the drive and I gave up after the umpteenth error came up I will just bite the bullet and go and buy a new external drive tomorrow.

Adrian

RobF
20-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Why is it the external enclosures seem so much harder on drives? I've been through a few in cheap enclosures, but also brand name WD and Seagate.

I'm wondering if one of those USB3 plug in set ups might be any better?

mill
20-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Heat Rob heat.
Whack a fan in an external housing and all is good.

Moon
20-09-2010, 10:19 PM
They all fail - WD and Seagate. I sent 2 off recently on the same day.
The Seagate RMA went to a UPS forwarding service in Sydney - cheaper but slower.
The WD RMA went to direct Singapore - more expensive but faster.
James

AdrianF
21-09-2010, 06:42 AM
The first WD drive lasted 4 days before it would intermittently work 2nd about 2 months the one I have just thrown in the bin lasted 6 weeks before it started making squealing noises. The maxtor drive I have had for 2 years and as never given me a problem. I think I will go and buy me a maxtor drive.

Adrian

Barrykgerdes
21-09-2010, 08:39 AM
I have an 80GB external WD drive. It has been running for 2 years now. No bother.

I have everything on it backed up in any case

Barry