PDA

View Full Version here: : Avatar file size

erick
14-09-2010, 10:31 AM
I only ever get it right by trial and mostly error. I've been getting "file upload error" but my avatar has however changed.

Would someone please translate the following into "Avatars for Dummies" language for me:-

"Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 25.0 KB (whichever is smaller)."

Examples would help. :confused2: What dimensions/size will work and what will not.

(yes, I know it will be bleedin' obvious - but I don't get it - sorry) Thanks

iceman
14-09-2010, 10:43 AM
80x80 is the pixel size, so to fit the space properly, should resize or crop an 80x80 pixel portion of your image.

25kb is the file size, so once you've resized the image, then save it as jpeg and ensure it's under 25kb in size. For an 80x80 pixel image, it should be.

The main trick is to resize/crop first, then save as jpeg and the file size should already be under 25kb.

I hope that helps, let me know if you need any more info.

erick
14-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks Mike. Sounds like the preferred position is 80x80 pixels or less and 25kByte or less - an AND rather than an OR?

By the way, my current avatar which appeared even though I got a "file upload error" is 350x439 pixels and 23kByte? Well I think that is the one that found its way there - I was fiddling with different resizing and compression.