PDA

View Full Version here: : Experience with the 12 inch Skywatcher?

ozskywatcher
13-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi all,

Thanks to comments from IceinSpace members, I have ruled out the Meade 16inch as not being portable enough.

Can anyone comment on their use of the 12 inch Skywatcher Flex tube dobsonian (non-tracking version). I am after a scope suitable for casual use and for showing school students the sky (at nights run by my local astronomical society).

Regards,

Paul Floyd

noswonky
14-09-2010, 02:38 AM
I have the tracking version, but I believe it's the same except for the motors etc.

I've only had it for about six weeks and I'm very happy with it so far.

However it's still big and tricky to transport. The base is deceptively tall (810mm). It looks like it will fit in a medium size car, but it won't. I was able to fit it in my Magna (tube in the boot and base lying on it's side on the back seat). To transport the base upright (which I prefer as it avoids stress on the bearings) requires an SUV.

Bear in mind that the 12 inch Meade when disassembled is probably easier to transport than the Skywatcher. The advantage of the SW is that it's quicker to assemble - just two pieces.

Optics seem good (although I'm no expert) and it holds collimation quite well despite being collapsed and opened.

mswhin63
14-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Hi,

I have a 12" as well and very happy with it. Only recently though we bought a new Hyundai wagon for wife and it wont fit in it. Never really expected it though as I have a Berlingo van and all my gear fits in there including all my other gear.

If you are looking at apeture then it is the way to go, but if you are using it for school use depending on the size and what you expect to see then 10" maybe the way to go. It will be a good size for children reaching eyepiece at zenith.

At 1500mm focal length a lot of objects disappear out of view quicker than a smaller scope so you will need to re-adjust often throughout a night session. Motor driven would resolve it.

There is a lot to think about when selecting but as i have been at schools for club activities I find the DOB without drive nice but sometime hard to manage when you have 20 children wanting to look at the skies. Although I haven't used my DOB in schools I did assist others with their scope during a couple of sessions

It suits me well as I have built a EQ platform that allows me to EQ track across the sky. For planetary imaging it is brilliant.

andrew2008
14-09-2010, 10:42 AM
The 12" truss is an excellent choice. Optics are also generally very good for the price. The difference for me would come down to portability between the Meade and Skywatcher. I own the Skywatcher and the base stands in the boot of my Subaru Forester without too much trouble. The tube when collapsed stands on the passenger seat in the back.

Anyone with a smaller car may want the Meade which breaks down into smaller parts. There are people I've heard of though that easily fit the Skywatcher into small cars if they put the base on front passenger seat. Guess this is ok if travelling to dark skies alone. May not be practical if you have a family with you though.

noswonky
14-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Actually, I have fitted the 12 inch SW in the back of a VW New Beetle, which is a two door hatch! It was not easy - like solving a jigsaw - trying different configurations until all the pieces fitted. The solution involved folding the back seats down and folding the front passenger seat forward. The base ended up lying down protruding into the front passenger area. I was unable to have the base standing up on the front seat (even in my magna).

I have just ordered a Subaru Forester so that I can transport the scope! Well It was time to replace my car anyway.

Louwai
14-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I agree with Malcolm regarding "tracking" at school nights.
I do quite a few public viewing nights etc for clubs etc & I find that having a GO-TO (tracking) scope is the only way to go.

I can set up all 3 scopes, (SDM 20", Skywatcher 12" & C8 SCT), point them at something interesing & walk away. All I need to do then is have someone keeping an eye on 2 of the scopes (with me at the 3rd) & check the alighnment every 5 mins or so. (kids will always lean on the scope or accidentally steady themselves by grabbing it)

So if your main reason for buying this scope is for school nights etc, unless you want to re-align after EVERY person has looked, I'd recomend getting the GO-TO version.

noswonky
14-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Some pictures...

Visionoz
14-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, hat's off to you mate!:thumbsup: When there's a will, there's a way!!:)

Cheers
Bill