PDA

View Full Version here: : Gso coma corrector query

Astrolabe
08-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Has any member had any experience with the new GSO coma corrector and how does it compare to the one from Televue?

There were some reports and comments about it several weeks ago, on Cloudynights, but I can't locate them.

Your help will be appreciated
George (astrolabe)

RobF
09-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Would be interested in a link George?

Have you considered a Baader MPCC - they have lots of runs on the board for many people.

What sort of scope and/or camera configuration would you be using?

Astrolabe
09-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Rob. I am only a visual observer. I already have a Televue Paracorr which I like a lot. Some nights I use two Newtonians, a 12" F5 as the main scope and a 6" F5 as a rich field. I do not like to move the Paracorr from one scope to the other, so I was thinking of getting another Paracorr but the cost is over the $400.00 mark. On the other hand the GSO unit is less than half the cost of the Paracorr. This is the reason for my post.

Thanks again and clear nights

George (astrolabe)

JethroB76
10-09-2010, 02:50 PM
The GSO version is like the earlier TV paracorr in that it has no tunable top. Although the designer of the GSO apparently posted on CN that you didn't need to optimise the distance between the EP focal plane and the corrector - most on there were looking at solutions to do just that, using parfocalising rings etc.
I considered getting one because of the price (and I see they are available at Andrews now) but in the end went for a current model paracorr from astromart instead (price difference was small).

Astrolabe
10-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for that JethroB76. I seem to remember something along the same lines. I believe a CN member called Skycaptain fabricated a little device to get an affect similar to Turnable top from TV.

I cannot locate that post on CN. Do you happen to remember when it was posted?

Thanks and regards

George (astrolabe)

erick
10-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Photo on GS website

http://www.gs-telescope.com/content.asp?id=125

$179 at Andrews

Maybe?

Astrolabe
10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks Eric

George

JethroB76
11-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, he makes some very cool stuff.

Think this is the thread you're referring to..
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3774044/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/3/vc/1

Astrolabe
11-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks Jethro, the link is very much appreciated.

George (astrolabe)

ericc
18-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Hi there,Just wondering how all this went, as I am also interested in the GSO coma corrector for visual only.
I have a 10" gso dob with nagler and pan eps.The 24pan does show up coma near the edge of field(radiating comets)which would be nice to tidy up.I have not noticed this with other eps.
I have had had an eye test recently which shows 1/4 diopter.I use a catseye coll system which I think I am using correctly.
I phoned the helpfull guys at Bintel --and this coma corrector was suggested.
If anyone has any thoughts or experiances to share about this model---it would be appreciated!
Cheers-Eric