PDA

View Full Version here: : i got my new HP worm upgrade for the G11

h0ughy
05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
I received my new G11 upgrade on friday from Mr Ward. looks great but i must say i wished it came with instructions. I cannot find anything on the losmandy web site either on how to install it and remove the existing one?

For me this is like doing brain surgery while conducting open heart surgery at the same time!!! With out diagrams and instructions i am a shot duck - just own some expensive brass.......

JohnG
05-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Hi David

Look here http://helixgate.net/

Under "Whats New", there is a step by step tutorial on how to install the OPW.

Cheers

h0ughy
05-09-2010, 10:08 PM
thanks John

h0ughy
27-05-2018, 10:48 PM
this is a ghost from the past - 8 years ago.... now present day

Sadly i have to report that i still have the worm brand new in a box and never fitted it. my affinity for non mechanical put me off doing the upgrade. this is one thing that i do need to do. the other is that when i bought my Titan 50 with the new GEMINI 2 controller i put it in the box with the G11. in 2011 when visiting Bintel they did the only firmware upgrade on the controller. and then it went back into the box until last Saturday when i got it out and put a new battery in it and booted it up. it seemed to work, went tothe stargazing live and thats when i discovered its flaws in the firmware where it kept slewing or tracking at an extreme rate. i persevered for the night but its something i need to upgrade. So i downloaded the firmware update and formatted a new sd card and placed it on the card. thats when i stopped , i am now out of my depth. the last thing i updated in the field (the eq8) was a near disaster. Sooooo what do i do and how do i do it.........

DarkArts
28-05-2018, 07:06 AM
Well, I can't help with the firmware (still running a Gemini 1 myself) but you shouldn't feel so bad about the worm ... I still have an Ovision worm unfitted in a box ...

There are probably more people who have done Gemini 2 firmware upgrades on Cloudy Nights.

h0ughy
28-05-2018, 07:45 AM
Good god, we can start worm anonymous :rofl:

I put my Gemini 1 which came from the G11 with 1.05 chip into the observatory so I could manually control my solar and lunar works. I love the thrill of the chase :lol:.

multiweb
28-05-2018, 09:43 AM
I installed mines on both DEC and RA years ago. Still using Gemini 1 as well. I can show you at astrofest if you want.

h0ughy
28-05-2018, 11:03 AM
That sounds great so will I purchase another worm so we can do both? ;)

That just leaves upgrading the Gemini 2 firmware :question:

Troy
28-05-2018, 07:47 PM
David there is a small program called Gemini Firmware Updater - See attached screen shot.
You connect the gemini to the computer using a Ethernet cable, then type in the correct ip address which you can get from the hand control and then have the check boxes ticked like in my screen shot and the use the drop down box for the latest firmware see screen shot again.

Then when it's done restart the mount.

Cheers

h0ughy
28-05-2018, 10:20 PM
great - does it have to be connected to the mount? can you just power the handcontroller and do it?

h0ughy
29-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Was that just the HP worm or the one piece HP setup

h0ughy
29-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Troy,
When you connect with the Mount do you install one thing at a time?

multiweb
29-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Single block worms.

h0ughy
29-05-2018, 06:14 PM
ok i managed to connect to the gemini as you can see

i can run the programme

i cant get past this point :sadeyes: :help: :help: :(

DarkArts
29-05-2018, 07:23 PM
I don't have Gemini 2 so I can only offer generic advice ...

I assume that's the Gemini 2 network settings page in the right hand window. (My first instinct would have been to suggest that the default gateway was wrong, but you can connect to the Gemini, so that's obviously not it).

1. Try entering 0.0.0.0 into the UDP and TCP peer host fields in the Gemini 2 network settings page.
2. Uncheck the "Use DHCP to acquire network settings" box (though I doubt that's it).
3. Try it with the network settings page closed (maybe Gemini only allows one connection at a time ... though that'd be rare).
4. Temporarily disable any firewall software on your PC.

Do you need to put a password in the firmware updater password field?

h0ughy
29-05-2018, 08:35 PM
many thanks for the suggestions

ok what i have done is bought a new micro SDcard and formatted it as per the instructions on the web. i took theold one out and kept that in a safe spot. i copied the new system onto the new card and booted up without the hand controller added. it installed the new Gemini 2 system YEAH:thumbsup:
i could see it with the web address

next i turned it off and then attached the hand controller - its currently updating.........

lazjen
29-05-2018, 08:40 PM
You don't have to close the network settings page, it works with multiple connections. Also DHCP won't be an issue here, because the web page is working.

David, what version of the firmware are you on? Have you read this page: http://gemini-2.com/updatefirmwaremethods.php ? If you're on a very old version you may need to use the 4th method listed on that page.

EDIT: Yep, that's it - just saw your post after I posted. :)

h0ughy
29-05-2018, 09:02 PM
its alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!