PDA

View Full Version here: : 8" Skywatcher Newt

that_guy
04-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Hey folks, theres an 8" Newt on an EQ5 used in star optics for $600, i was thinking about buying this.. its a bargain alright... just a few questions...

1. Its an aluminium tripod.. would it be able to carry the scope and a 30D?
2. Would the DSLR focus or does it need to get the mirror moved up??

Thanks,
Tony

RobF
04-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi Tony

If you get them collimated right, the Newt is great for visual and astrophotography. The big question really is how much photography would you be doing? If that's your chief goal, then I'd suggest a Heq5Pro mount as a minimum (EQ6 or higher if you can afford it). Also budget for a coma corrector for $200-$300.

Its rare that you can put a DSLR straight on and reach prime focus without a bit of fiddling about or modifying. I had to cut down the 2" adaptor on my scope but there other ways (reversing adaptors, cutting OTA, low profile focuser) that you could read up about here on IIS in threads gone by.

Jeanette bought one of these essentially identical to mine and I was surprised we couldn't get it to prime focus with my cut down adaptor - the clearances are small and I normally only have about 8-10 mm of in-focus left on mine. Might be variations in focal length and collimation adjustment.

I've only ever owned Newts, so the 8" was a no-brainer upgrade for me and I think incredibly cost effective for what you get.:thumbsup:
Don't know anything about EQ5s except they're relatively lightweight for a 10kg scope. Others here might be able to help.

that_guy
04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
hmm.... what if i use the 8" with a webcam and get some planetary and take it off and put the dslr on the mount and do some widefield? that way everyone is happy:D:D

RobF
04-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Sure, there's no reason you couldn't do either or both. Just be aware that you really need a bit more focal length for planetary work. At least a 2x barlow, but ideally a 5x powermate if possible. I wasn't trying to frighten you off the scope Tony, just trying to point out some strengths and weaknesses.

that_guy
04-09-2010, 07:00 PM
can a 2" extension tube add a bit more focal length?

bmitchell82
04-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Tony for what you want it is not a bargain. You will get rid of the mount in about 3 months time because it will not do what you want/need it to do.

The DSLR will come to focus straight away. Though if you want to add a MPCC which you will have to in any case you need to do 1 of two things

1. Replace the stock focuser to allow a 2" to pass the throat

2. Modify the throat of the stock focuser to allow the MPCC to pass.

All in all look for a second had EQ6 mount and get a second hand 8" there seems to be alot of them floating around that would be your best option. and also sit down think about what it is that you really want to do. Planetary is different from DSO which is different to visual, I don't know of any scope which is perfect for all or a combination of any of the styles.

Good luck

Brendan

that_guy
04-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Brendan, i was originally looking for a small EQ mount just to do some widefield with my 30D and lens, i saw this in my local astronomy shops website and thought it was a bargain, Im not looking to spend big bucks on a heavy duty EQ mount when all i want is something that i will use for wide field, the 8" is a bonus which i hope to get some DSO but primarily planetary.

RobF
04-09-2010, 11:13 PM
On its own no, but possibly if put before a barlow - others will know better about this than I.....
I used to chain 2 2x barlows before I got my 5x Powermate

that_guy
04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
its okay guys, im not getting this one, turns out theres not RAC and DA motors....

RobF
05-09-2010, 10:04 AM
I like your sig BTW Tony LOL :lol: :rofl:

robz
09-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Tony, I got my second hand Orion 8 inch F 4.4 on a GAZER g.e.m.(no drives).

It's similar to a standard EQ5(and a few others)in style and appearance.
I thought it first looked like and would be a really rugged mount for an 8 inch Newt., but it turned out that the scope wobbled like jelly on it:eyepop:!!!

Ended up getting the latest EQ6 PRO....................now THAT'S A MOUNT!!!!:thumbsup:

that_guy
09-09-2010, 02:32 PM
haha. tis okay, i bought a HEQ5 and will just mount my cam on it for the time being.. than 8: newt and Ed80

robz
09-09-2010, 04:45 PM
:D................have fun!