PDA

View Full Version here: : 12 volt DC Power supply unit

hotspur
27-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi folks

I am in the process of selling a vintage model train set,the sale is going through in a few weeks.

I have a elite 12 volt DC power supply unit (powertec brand),see pics.it can draw up to 3 Amps,I found this unit to be very good as some of the old Australian made 'Ferris' brand locos would draw up to 2and a 1/2 to 3 amps,Not many power supply units could handle these locos,so was very handy.

I bought this for the vintage train set as I could adjust the volts per loco,as some are different.It has all digital read out displays,lots of asjustments etc.

It cost quite a considerable amount,I will have really no use for it once train set is gone,I also have speed control units for it to.The chap buying set does not need it,so what can I use such a power supply unit for?

I had a friend,who is a electronic tec guy make up some cables so I could charge batteries.

I wonder if someone could give advice on what I could use it for.

I was thinking of may be selling it to someone with a EQ 6 to be used as a power supply.Or other hobbiest on these pages

If anyone is interested in buying it,I could look at selliing it

here is some pics,cheers Chris

renormalised
27-08-2010, 01:50 PM
If I had the money Chris, I'd buy it on the spot:) Unfortunately, I'm skint and will be for awhile. I hope you do sell it. It would be excellent for a permanent observatory setup!!!

Barrykgerdes
28-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I once needed a powersupply to charge the battery in my "trainset". I made my own out of parts salvaged from some 30 KW transmitters. It ended up being a 3 phase 75amp 12/24v supply It is still in the old garage unused for 10 years. Used it to start the car a few times.

By the way the train drew 40 Amps at 24 volts.

Barry

hotspur
28-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I will most likely end up selling the power supply unit,the two controllers,and all the cables,charger cables for $350. Once the train set is gone.

I have the box and packaging for unit,This may suit someone in S.E QLD area,as I do not think I could post it due to weight.

If anyone may be interested let me know,it has had very little use,and is basically new.I think apart from running a train set,a friend used it to 'fry a hard drive'

I would also look at a swap.I need a 'Orion pro shoot auto guider',or some other astro/photography gear may be of interest.

cheers Chris