PDA

View Full Version here: : Skywatcher eq6 pro mn g.e.m.

robz
26-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Anyone had any experience with this mount?
Looks like a good contender for small newt. + refractor astrophotography set up?

NorthernLight
26-08-2010, 04:07 PM
hey robert,

without leaning to far out of the window I think I can say the SW EQ6 pro is standard in astrophotography for quite some time now.

wherever you look in this forum someone has one and almost every possible problem/improvement has been discussed.

its pretty versatile, rock solid and there is a lots of software support to control/guide it (EQMOD-yahoo group).

there are certainly better mounts but they start some few grand above the eq6 price.

i use mine with a 6" f5 newton and an ed80 f7.5 for AP but plan to ride a 10" RC with the ed80 on it as soon my budget alows it (which thanks to the lower $ here looks rather like next year:sad:).

good luck!

robz
26-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Cheers for that response Max.

Hope to get one soon for my 8 inch f4.4 newt.:D

Rob.

AlexN
28-08-2010, 05:48 AM
I used an EQ6 pro with everything from 80mm refractors through to 11" SCT's for imaging and rarely if ever had any problems. They do, as with anything, suffer a bit from mass production, and so there is room for improvement straight out of the box, however for the money they are damn near impossible to beat..

For your 8" F/4.4 newt, an EQ6 Pro would be very nice indeed.

robz
29-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Good to hear Alex.
Have ordered one at an extremely low price (compared to it's original whopper price tag :rolleyes:).

The 8 incher F4.4 has some work to be done to it. The focusser has this weird, extra long screw on ''cannon'' that couples to the focusser's draw tube and then accepts 2'' and 1& 1/4'' eypieces.

As a result, the focus point necessitates the draw tube to end up much further inside the scope's tube.............so much so that it is clearly visible - protruding and blocking the optical path!!!:screwy:

I don't know where this ''add - on'' came from but it's a commercially made product................just not a practical one.:rolleyes:

Will have to look at totally replacing it with a GSO micro focusser or something along those lines?

Benno85
02-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Mate what are you planning on using as an imaging device? I was looking at using the GSO low profile on my 8" f5 with a Canon 45D DSLR but have steered clear of it after seeing one. It just doesn't seem capable enough to hold the weight of my camera, let alone future accessories such as correctors and reducers. If a new focuser is in order then save the heartache and put away for a Feathertouch or Moonlight focuser - yes both are much more expensive upfront but you won't have any dramas with them.

Just my thoughts :)

robz
07-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Benno85, still trying out webcams and CCD security cams adapted for Planetary imaging.

So, the GSO is a bit flimsy eh?...............that's interesting to know because I was looking at one also:rolleyes:.

I think that it's better to spend a bit more on a quality 10:1 job as it's worth it in the end.:question: