PDA

View Full Version here: : Info on HEQ 5 mount needed.

hotspur
15-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Folks

Thanks everyone who gave helpfull information re guide scope and auto guider.

I am looking at getting set up for full time imaging.the scopes I have a good,the Orion auto guider looks like it will do a fine job.

The only issue now,is my mount its a GP with SS2K,very good,but only a 7 kg payload,so by the time I load her up she might be maxed out.

I did look at buying a GP-DX,but never found one to buy:shrug:

So I now have to look at other options,I could buy a GPD 2,but I am told these are made in China,not Japan-is that true?,not sure.

The other option is a HEQ 5,I notice at 'Astrofest' its 'wall-to-wall' EQ 6 and HEQ 5,so they must be quite reasonable.

What is the payload of HEQ 5? and where and how much are they??
and are there any issues,from what I here,they cause no problems.

Thanks for any advice,Chris

bert
15-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Chris,

If you are going to use the ed103 and the ed81 as a guide scope, I had the same setup with an eq6, ed103, and an earlier model vixen ed80. I really feel you dont want to go any smaller then the eq6.

My 2c.

And get the dedicated reducer flattener for the ed103, Its designed for the ed114,103,81 and reduces to f5.4.

Brett

gbeal
15-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Depends on the scope you put on it of course Chris.
I say try the GP first and see.
Keep the scope short and light and also opt for the finder/guider idea.
Can't hurt to try.
I am sure the EQ5 is a GP clone anyway, could be wrong though.
Gary

CoolhandJo
21-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Chris, I have an Neq6 and load an 8 inch newt + ED80 piggy backed. I get 10min subs guided no problem.

I am just about to purchase a HEQ5 for field work (star parties etc) and plan on loading a 6 inch newt (5kg) using an Off axis guider. I have recently read up on them and believe that I will get 10min subs also.

The recommended payload on a HEQ5 is up to 13.5 to 14kg - so I would be able to piggy back the ED80 on this also if I wanted.

I suggest that you ensure that you dont exceed the recommended load and keep it under too. Then, use the PEC function. I use PEMPRO software and it turned my EQ6 PEC from 15 arc sec of error Peak to Peak down to about 5 arc sec peak to peak! Then, good guiding will give you a reasonably round star at 10min if your are imaging at 1.25 arc sec and above. Obviously this is my experience only and others may have different experiences.

Bintel offer HEQ5 for $1199 or thereabouts. Andrews are doing them for $999. The difference being Bintel offer OEM warranty, whereas Andrews offers their own warranty only.

RobF
21-08-2010, 09:26 PM
I couldn't justify the expense to go EQ6 over Heq5Pro originally, but have been pleasantly surprised with its performance and convenience (particularly as I set up and pull everything down any time I observe or image at home or at dark skies). I don't think you'll want to put much more than 10kg on it for astrophotography though. Visual you might get up to 15kg, but you'll need a 3rd counterweight.

I used to use an extension bar to get a bit extra counterweighting when I had a piggyback refractor, but with the SSAG in an old 9x5 finder there's no need (and the tracking is much better).