PDA

View Full Version here: : Which 'Orion' auto guider?

hotspur
14-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Folks

I will be buying a autoguider shortly,It appears the 'Orion pro shoot' auto guider is the one to buy,so I will get one.

I am told there are two 'versions' one approx $385 and another around $495

The more expensive one has some feature that enables it to take photos of moon and planets,it may have some other reason for being dearer.

Which one should I buy??,I have a Phillps-to-U cam,so I can do planets with that.Is there any benefit to me getting the more expensive Orion?Maybe it might take better images of planets.

I am interested in planet images,so would mind spending extra-if its a big leap over T0-U-CAM.

From what I can gather,most have the $385 version,and it does very,very well.

Also,is there any other places I can buy this item?,prices I have quoted are from Brisbane dealer,some of you may know a cheaper place.

Thank you for help.Chris

renormalised
14-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Get the the cheaper starshoot. It's a great little autoguider for what you pay for it. If you want to do planetary work, you'd be much better off getting a DMK21 (or if you just want an OSC, the DBK21 will do) rather than buying an autoguider cum planetary camera. You'll see much better results if you do. Yes, it's a bit dearer in the money area equipment wise, but you'll thank yourself for purchasing it later on.

hotspur
14-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Thanks Carl.

I was not sure if the more expensive Orion had any real advantages,but your advice puts that into perspective.

They must be very good these 'pro-shoots',saw dozens at Astrofest.

Cheers Chris

bert
14-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Get the ssag (the cheaper one). I have one and I love it. I have experience with both. The problems with the starshoot planetary and autoguider is;

1. Its a smaller sensor.
2. Theres no plugin for maxim (yet?). So you are stuck with phd.
3. The starshoot planetary that I used was faulty.

The cheaper starshoot is the go in my books.

Brett