PDA

View Full Version here: : Heres one for EQ6 gurus!

MuntiNZ
04-08-2010, 09:15 AM
This question is about connecting an EQ6 to a lappie.
A mate brought the EQ6 pro last year and wants to connect it up to his laptop with out using the hand paddle thingee.
Some where on here there was a post about a cable you can use for USB thats different from a usual usb to mount connector.
My mate brought a cable called a FTDI to usb.
Can he just stick the usb end into his lappie and the FTDI end with the 9 pins right into the socket on the mount and not use the hand paddle?
Or does he have to by one of those Eqdirs?

Moon
04-08-2010, 10:01 AM
When you use the FTDI, you don't need the EQDIR, so there is no need to go buy one.
It sounds like you have the right cable, but it would be worth while double checking it's wired up correctly before plugging it in. Which cable is it? Where did he buy it?
James

garymck
04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
FTDI is a manufacturer - they make several different cables. The one you want is:

http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ftdi-usb-to-serial-ttl-level-5v-converter-cable.html

This is a TTL level converter. A standard USB to serial cable won't drive the EQ6. The serial end will have to have a d9 connector soldered on using the wiring diagram I've copied below from Sourceforge.

EQDIRECT-USB
An EQDIRECT-USB convertor consists of a combined USB serial port that provides TTL outputs. Such a device is avilable from FTDI called the TTL232R, and comes integrated into a USB cble and connector. Please be aware that FTDI produce a similar product, the TTL232R3V3, but due to lower signaling voltages this will not work. A driver is installed on the PC and the TTL232R appears as a standard com port. There is an additional advantage in that unlike many usb-serial devices the com port number of the FTDI device, once assigned, will not change when plugged into a different physical USB port.

To create the EQDIRECT-USB all theat is needed is to connect a 9 way "D" type plug to the flying lead of the TTL232R. The connections are as follows:

Solder Pin 6 of the 9 way D-type Plug to the Orange wire.
Solder Pin 9 of the 9 way D-type Plug to the Yellow wire.
Solder Pins 4 & 5 of the 9 way D-type Plug to the Black wire.

After all this, you can then install and use EQMOD to control the scope from computer

Hope this clears it up.
cheers
Gary

MuntiNZ
04-08-2010, 01:15 PM
The cable has got one usual USB plug on the end for the computer and the other has got a little box with a 9 pins plug on it. (they stick out not the little holes)
Some one told him its a "USB to serial" but its sposed to be a FTDI and if he looks under the settings manager for ports (? or some thing) on his lappie it says---

USB Serial Port (COM3) Properties
Device Type Ports: (CCM & LPT)
Manufacturer: FTDI
Driver Provider: FTDI
Driver Date: 22/10/2009
Driver Version: 2.6.0.0
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publi
Device Instance Id: FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+5&195B202D&0&2\0000

Thats what he sent me any way dont ask what it means coz I dunno!!!
Hey Moon(James) how does he tell if the wiring is right?
Thanks team!!

garymck
05-08-2010, 10:10 AM
there are usb to serial converters, and usb to serial TTL converters at 3.3 volts and 5 volts. All of these are made by FTDI.

If it has a sticker on the usb plug end that says "TTL-232R-5.0V" Then it is the correct one, if not then it is a straight usb to serial and won't work. The link I posted above takes you to the correct one.

Gary

MuntiNZ
05-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Hey cheers for that so looks like its just a usb to serial thingee then.