PDA

View Full Version here: : Vixen GPD2 very happy.....

garymck
27-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Hi,
several months ago I posted about my problems tracking with my EQ6. After converting it to belt drive It still was no good at long focal lengths. I sold it for a song to a Iceinspacer with full disclosure and bought a Vixen GPD2. I nearly had to sell this to pay for some surgery, but fortunately was able to organize this for free on Medicare and so was able to keep it. Last night was the first chance I've had since the surgery to really put it through it's paces, and I'm a VERY happy camper. Maxim reports guided tracking at between .07 pixels and .2 pixels rms (round .5 to 1 arc sec at my image scale depending on seeing). This is 3-6 times better than the best I EVER got with the EQ6. No more chinese stuff for me.......I think I'd rather have smaller capacity/better tracking than fight with the equipment for 3 years like I did with the EQ6. Also like to commend MyAstroshop for their after sales service when I had a few queries...

Mount is driven by an eq5 Synscan - which was pretty much a straight bolt on. Pic below

cheers
Gary

hotspur
27-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Well done Gary!

The vixen gear is vastly superior to the other clones from across

the Sea of Japan,I too had a new NEQ 6 and right from the start,I knew it

was'nt in the same league as the Vixen gear and soon moved it on.

It was made to a price,not to a standard.It did not track well.I can get

up to 3 minutes unguided with a GP with DD1 gear.The EQ 6 zero.

Hope you get to do more observing etc,with your fine gear.

cheers Chris