PDA

View Full Version here: : Andrews triplet semi-APO binoculars

mbo
24-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Has anyone any experience with these (http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-11.htm)?
(Left column, third down), are they significantly better than say the
High contrast BBFMC 11 X 70 binoculars?
Is 20x80 usable without a tripod, e.g. laying on your back on the ground?

mch62
24-07-2010, 05:45 PM
:hi:MBO, I have a set of these and when collimated there a reasonable set of Binoculars for the price. They have a plastic body which keeps the weight down so if your reasonable strong you can hand hold for short periods , best to have a post or similar to rest on thou at 20x.
Even though there a triplet design I don't think there is any special ED type glass used. There is some colour fringing on brighter objects but less than some short focal ratio acro refractors or doublet binos of the same magnification during the day , but at night this is not a problem at all unless you aim for the moon then there is some fringe colour.
The main annoyance is it only takes a reasonable small bump and they loss collimation.
This is rectified by lifting the covering soft plastic armour on the left side near the eyepiece to access a small adjustment screw.(do a google to get instructions on this)
This screw tilts one prism to adjust the view so the images line up. This is a rudimentary design as the prism is held with some silicon and the screw puts pressure on the prism against the silicon. I carry a small screw driver in the case as this is a regular adjustment I find.
Beside that I do use them from time to time and they provide a bright image with no ghost reflections and the coatings are even and do a good job.
Mark

chris lewis
26-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Just to reinforce what mark says. I have a pair and they are 'reasonable' for the price however I end up using my 15x70 Ultras. more often. [Which is on the same site]. The Ultra’s do offer superior optical and build qualities over the 20x80 triplets - this is not to say there is anything majorly wrong with them its just the Ultras are a superior over all astro. bino.
Edz. and others from ‘Cloudy Nights' have measured the aperture of most of the Chinese 20x80 binos to be around 72-73 mm true aperture. Mine measure about 74 mm. There is CA fringing which is not overly distracting but it is there. The Ultras are a true 70mm clear and do have very good light transmission. The image does offer more contrast and the increased Afov give you a more rewarding image over the 20x80's. CA is not a concern. I 'see' just as much with the Ultra's as the with the 20x80 and the image is more rewarding. Of course you do pay more but quality lasts longer then the pain your wallet.

Chris

mbo
26-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I'll procrastinate some more :confused2:
It's so difficilt to make $2000 worth of stuff fit into a $1000 budget!