PDA

View Full Version here: : 'Pelican' case "Knock-off",where and what are they like?

hotspur
16-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi Folks.

I am going off fishing,up along the Bribe Island waterways,I want to take my 400 mm L and camera,to try and take some photos of Brahmery Kites and Whistling Kites.But want to put my gear in something safer than my kit bag.

We had some astronomy field nights here a while ago,and one chap had a
'Knock off pelocan case" for his camera gear,It looked like it sealed up well.

I forgot who had it,or how much,so if anyone has these could they may be post a picture,or advise what size for one camera and 400 mm lens.Also where
and how much,

Thank you,Chris

erick
16-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Here you go, Chris

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=48274

Brundah1
16-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Chris,

I spotted some of these back in stock at Bunnies two weeks ago.

They have two sizes smaller is $65 larger is $85, both yellow in colour,
and have similar features as the genuine article. Jaycar also have a range of similar cases in black, but seem to be slightly lighter in construction.
Jaycar range includes about 4 or 5 sizes up to one with a retracting handle and wheels like airport cases. Jaycar equivalents to Bunnies are more expensive.

My Bunnies case is a Kincrome brand overall dimensions
430x380x154 internal 395x320x117. Includes one thin layer of flat foam, one layer of pluck foam and the top layer egg crate foam.

These are the same as in Eric's link from last year.

May want to check it floats with all that L glass inside;)

Cheers,

David

M_Lewis
16-07-2010, 08:36 PM
HXT case is what it was Chris, made in the same factory as Pelican, just a different brand. It's cheaper than Pelican, I found it at Photo continental at Mt. Gravatt.

They air-tight seal very well, in some cases you need to grow extra muscles to break the air seal, as they vaccume themselves up. It's a nice touch for the salty air up at Bribie.

cheers

Mark

DavidTrap
16-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi Chris,

Mine were from Bunnings - $29 each. I bought mine after Astrofest last year - they were in the Bunnings' Fathers Day Catalogue. Haven't seen them since at Bunnings.

DT

hotspur
17-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Thanks fellow photographers.

The size that Davis mentions,that is currently avaliable from Bummings

sounds of interest.When Fathers' Day roles around again,be worth seeking out

a Bummings to see if they have those specials DT mentions.

On a side note,Mark mentions they seal out air,If a person was'nt using there camera gear much over summer-when it can be very humid around Brisbane,would keeping you gear in these type of cases stop mouisture problems that could led to mould issues in lenses??

Thanks again for Bummings pointer,I have never been to one before.

cheers Chris

gregbradley
17-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I'd be interested in one of these also. I have a yellow Pelican case for one of my cameras. They are fantastic and worth the money.

I am not much of a fan of the pluck out foam though as it tends to fall apart a bit inside the case from use.

Greg.

Brundah1
19-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Chris,

I thought everyone goes to Bunnies at least once per month!

Been there today, the Kincrome (not Kingchrome) pelikan copies are still in stock for both sizes.

Yes the larger would be my choice, I gave you dimensions, I think your 400mm L lens should fit with camera and smaller bits.

Have you considered silicagel bags or better still Peter Lee HKG has desiccant packs with built-in heater (115-240 VAC requires a Japanese style female plug). HKD 90 approx AUD13 + shipping. I bought one with my QHY5 guider and other bits.

Happy Snapper-ing ;), don't get your feet er camera wet,

David