PDA

View Full Version here: : Help. Water droplet / moisture spot / condensation inside doublet lens

Logieberra
12-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey guys

Looks like I've got a moisture spot / droplet / condensation inside my guide scope lens.

It is a very small circle, about 1cm from the outside of the lens

How do I get rid of this stuff? I've heard everything from soak it in sunlight (direct or not?) to silica packs and warm heated rooms indoor.

Has anyone else experience this? And does the spot leave any marks once she clears / evaporates (fingers crossed)?

I'm hoping that the cell does not have to be dismaltled for it to come good...

And I do use dew controllers / heaters, and I monitor the temp and their effectiveness througout the night so as not to overdo the heat.

Thx in advance.

Hopeful.... :shrug:

Logie

anj026
12-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Hello Logie

If you can dry out the moisture, chances are it should not effect the view at all even if you can see dried watermarks.

If you have to dismantle it for cleaning then this guide may help.

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/cleaning2.pdf

I have also read some good information in a book I found in the library.
It is by M Barlow Pepin and published by Springer. It is called Care and use of Telescopes I think.

gregbradley
13-07-2010, 09:29 AM
If you disassemble it realise the doublet lens is positioned relative to each other in an exact position. Rotate one lens compared to the other or misalign them and it will go out of collimation.

So I would mark the lens edges so you can tell what clockwise orientation the 2 lenses are to each other as well as see if there is any movement of the lenses within the cell where they could shift relative to each other sideways or vertically.

Greg.

Logieberra
13-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks guys. Great info. Turns out that it was on the outside of the lens after all, the inside-the-tube surface, stupid of me I know... Still learning :)

But good to have these details on the public record incase anyone gets dew inside a doublet system.

Thx again.

Logan.

Ian Robinson
13-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Send it back (in tact) to the shop you bought it from and ask them to fix it.

Unless the water is pure, it will leave a mark. But the mark may not effect performance.

I'd be worried about the water etching the "glass" too.

jjjnettie
13-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Good luck with sending it back. Unless you can prove that you use and store your scope correctly, you've got buckleys chance of getting them to fix it.
I have had the same problem with my ed80.

May I suggest that you turn your scope to the sun and let it do it's thing. ie destroying any fungus that may be going to start growing from the wet patch.
It really is important to nip that in the bud right away.
ummm. remove eyepieces and keep kiddies away from the scope while doing this.
remove your finder too.

leon
13-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh dear that should not happen.

Leon

Logieberra
13-07-2010, 03:09 PM
All sorted guys. Pls see post #4. But thanks for the sympathy all the same. I was worried there for a while...

And if this does happen to you, leave the poor thing in the sun, indoors, with finder scope removed, and focuser end blocked otherwise it's a magnifying glass! And the guys at Tasko Service are great if you need to escalate.

This forum is a great resource.

Thx guys.