PDA

View Full Version here: : Bretti Reserve in August

Allan_L
11-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Bretti Reserve is about the same distance north of Sydnet as Lostock.
But it is about 70 kilometres closer to the East Coast.

It is 32 kilometres north of Gloucester, up Thunderbolts Way.
On the recommendation of Arthur Alchin, I spent 4 days there in April and found it to be the darkest skies I have ever witnessed (not that I have been to many truly dark sites ).

It is a public reserve and Free Camping Site.
No facilities other than garbage bins and pit toilets.

But the site is large and flat. And the horizon is low - no pesky trees to contend with. :astron:

There are two streams that merge here and I am told fishing is favourable. A platypus is seen daily in the stream, and I am told this means the water there is good. :fishing:

There is no lights (thanks to local vandals). And the only light comes from neighbouring caravans.

Although there were only three others there while I was there, I am told it can be crowded out on long weekends and school holidays, and in warmer weather generally.

A few people have expressed interest in having a trip there in August.
Probably in the week following the new moon.

This thread is to capture expressions of interest, and to provide information for the trip.

The roads are bitumen all the way and easy going for motor homes and caravans etc..

The site is in a valley, between two streams, and I am told there is a very splendid lookout only several kilometres further north up Thunderbolts Way.

There is NO water on tap so you will need to bring your own.
Fireplaces are abundant and wood can be found local but if this is your go it is best to bring some firewood with you. Although I suggest this does not always go well with sensitive optical equipment, and discretion appreciated. :campfire:

Bring own everything,

Need I say, there is no ELECTRICITY, so bring batteries and generators as required. (solar or fuel).

Comments invited.

GTB_an_Owl
11-07-2010, 10:10 PM
if i can sell a couple of freezer suits between now and then Al - i am in

geoff

norm
11-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi Allan,

Just passed it this arvo on the way to Walcha. Not many campers there atm, even during school holidays - probably due to weather.

Thunderbolt Ways a bit potted going north at the moment most likely due to rain and the log trucks that use this road. Overall its not too bad.

There is plenty of water in the rivers and always looks like a nice spot to camp.:)

Norm

PS: could be tempted in August, but depends on work committments.

Arthur Alchin
12-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Camping Bretti August 5th to the 8th (new moon is the tuesday 10th).

Does that sound like a goer??

Inmykombi
12-07-2010, 08:07 PM
I have it pencilled in, now I just gotta plan my work around it.:driving: .:campfire: :cheers: :fishing:

Allan_L
12-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Sorry guys, that is no good for me.
As posted above, the week AFTER the new moon.

I am tied to work till the 13th August.
Then I am free for 9 weeks.

Arthur Alchin
13-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Sorry to hear that Allan. Unfortunately i will be in Cairnes at a wedding for the Sept new moon therefore mightn't catch up till IIS camp in October if you are going.

Was planning on going to bretti about 15th sept for a couple of days but may put it off as i have an invite to a property in Cooma at end of sept for a few days (property is a friend of a friends and is 4wd access only with no amenities, looking forward to it.

Allan_L
13-07-2010, 07:28 PM
So... are you saying you can't make it the week after?

I was thinking Sunday Monday Tuesday the 15th 16th 17th August.

Longer if anyone is interested / weather beckons :)

Arthur Alchin
14-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Yeh, working the weekend following the 10th August, have been doing a relief position @ work with no weekend work for 6 weeks leading up to that time, then recommence weekend work after 10th August, bummer

Inmykombi
15-07-2010, 08:52 PM
The following weekend is no good for me either, I have a 50th birthday to attend.

Arthur Alchin
19-07-2010, 09:41 PM
At this stage i will be heading up to Bretti reserve early on the 5th Aug if anyone is interested. I will be taking generator and a charger for batteries (the generator can cope with a few chargers through a power board if you have your own) so it can be used to charge through the day.

As there are only pit toilets you will need to take water and something to wash. I have made a portable shower with 12v pump that can be used to circulate water that i heat in "solar" shower bag through a shower head. Everybody is welcome to use the shower but will have to supply your own hot water. (also have a shower tent for privacy).

I will also have a small gas cook top and the little Webber BBQ for meals. I will also take the weedeater

Allan_L
19-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Don't forget to take an ample supply of toilet paper.
Also, a decent size shovel (trust me !)
A hot water bottle and thermal underwear.

Hope you have a great time.

I may pop in for the weekend if I can swing it.

Arthur Alchin
20-07-2010, 05:55 AM
That would be brilliant if you could Allan, will keep a spot for you. Do you reckon up higher from the river is the best place to locate? If thats the case the weedeater and rake should almost be a necessity

Inmykombi
20-07-2010, 05:01 PM
I am in fellas.
I may have to leave on the Saturday morning to be home for a 50th Birthday party on Saturday afternoon evening, but we will see how much fun we are having up there.
I have never been to Glouster so it'll be fun.
I have also invested in a camping shower the same as yours Arthur that may be ok for a quick sprinkle clean.

Shall we meet somewhere different or at the twin servoes again ?
Maybe meet at the servo at the end of the Freeway ???

Cant wait to get away with you "muggs"........ I mean "mates" again ;)

The webber may get a workout too.

Can we have small campfires there during the day ?

Allan_L
20-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Yes, Geoff,
Camp fires are OK

Inmykombi
20-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Maybe time for a roll call people for Bretti Reserve camping weekend.

I believe we can fish there too....

GTB_an_Owl
20-07-2010, 10:46 PM
i'm an "if i've" at the moment

geoff

Arthur Alchin
21-07-2010, 04:27 AM
Definitly yes

Allan_L
21-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I will be trying to get up there friday afternoon (after work)
Keep the signal flare lit.
Also keep an ear to the CB (Channel 8 ???) :campfire:

Geoff / Arthur ==> my preferred spot is 31* 47' 22" S 151* 55' 7" E

Its about 3 hours from Wyong. (about 200 km)
Go up F3 and over Hexam Bridge, travel north on Pacific Highway for 27km and turn left onto Buckets way.
then follow your nose through to Gloucester then take thunderbolts way for about 22km and you are there.

Inmykombi
21-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Thx for the co-ordinates Al.

I now know where you mean.
Looks like a great spot.

It is unfortunate that I must leave on the Saturday to be home for a 50th birthday party for a very good friend, but we should have bucket loads of fun anyway....

Inmykombi
24-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Just a suggestion, that we stock up on firewood for the daytime activities which may include, Billy tea....Didgeridoo....Accordian....a nd assorted collimating & tweaking etc.

Is it worth bring a brazier type fireplace ?

I may even try to scam a fishing rod for the stream. Any ideas on bait for the local fishing variety ?

Getting excited now.

Rick Petrie
25-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi Guys
Can't make it this time around as I have a birthday to attend at SW Rocks.
Definitely try to make the next one if the place is good.
Hope you all have good weather and great skies.
Cheers:)

Arthur Alchin
25-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Geoff if you have a brazier type fireplace i can bring the chain saw and tomahawk so we can get some wood supply, i will also have a shovel and the generator and weed eater ( unfortunately won't have any brazen hussies to bring)

Inmykombi
25-07-2010, 09:58 PM
LOL.

My Brazen Hussie wont be coming with me to keep me warm....:(

I'll bring the Brazier fireplace and your chainsaw should find some firewood up there hoperfully.

not long to go now.

Arthur Alchin
27-07-2010, 09:07 PM
weed eater: yes, generator: yes, chainsaw: yes, gas ring and tank to heat lots of water (if necessary): yes, only need to add cloths. food and drinks and of course astronomy gear

Allan_L
27-07-2010, 10:42 PM
...AND...

THERMAL Underwear and Freezer Suit !!! :cold: :campfire: :cold:

Arthur Alchin
28-07-2010, 06:40 AM
ah yes!, thank Allan, have them hanging in the garage right over the top of the scope so i don't forget.

I will also have to get some petrol to run all the gear

Arthur Alchin
28-07-2010, 06:41 AM
Thought Jacob might have been in on this one.

jakob
28-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Arthur, you are right.
I'm interested, but final decision has not been made.
Just to let you know, I'm likeley to come and I will have a 2kw Generator with me!
I still have a dental issue to clear up. No good to have tooth acke and freeze!

I keep you posted.
J.

Arthur Alchin
28-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Just out of interest I have been watching the weather and the current prediction for the end of next week in the area is not looking good.

I will keep everyone posted on any further developments in the weather department but save to say, i will be reluctant to be "tenting it" if is raining on top of the -3 degree (yes minus 3) nights predicted. The chill factor could be disastrous.

Inmykombi
28-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Same here.
I will be hesitant to set up a tent of the rain freezes at minus 3 . Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I will keep an eye out for the weather too.

Inmykombi
30-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Can we fnd alternative accommodation close by if the weather turns foul ?

maybe somewhere like a local pub....

Arthur Alchin
30-07-2010, 09:42 PM
don't know how far the town of barrington is??

GTB_an_Owl
30-07-2010, 10:01 PM
alternative accommodation is called "HOME" Geoffrey

geoff

Inmykombi
31-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Home will be too far to drag a went tent I am afraid.

lets hope the weather is favourable....

Arthur Alchin
01-08-2010, 07:11 AM
So far for Scone (weather Channel): Overcast Thur, Raining Fri, Sat and Sun with top of 14.

Will keep updated

jakob
01-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Who beliefs in weather forcasts?
:D:D:D

GTB_an_Owl
01-08-2010, 10:36 AM
i'm a definite NO i'm afraid

no money and a big week coming up with my fight with council

and i was looking forward to going TOO - never mind

geoff

jakob
01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear it Geoff.
I hope you will still advise on the weather!:confused2::confused2:

GTB_an_Owl
01-08-2010, 11:41 AM
my early prediction for Thursday - not looking good

geoff

Arthur Alchin
03-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Unfortunately the weather forecast for the Gloucester area looks like crap for the next week with unrelenting rain and showers.

For my part i won't be traveling up this weekend as the distance traveled warrants having a fair degree of clear sky and that seems unlikely.

I will possibly catch up with some at the pony club but otherwise will catch up at the IIS camp in october.

Sorry for the inconvenience to Allan, Jacob and Geoffro

Allan_L
03-08-2010, 09:45 PM
No inconvenience Arthur.
I think you have mirrored the view of the rest of us.

However, I will keepan eye on the weather channel for some possible clear patch, possibly further inland.

Maybe Broke!

jakob
04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm sitting on the fence, watching the clouds, Wagon packed!
:sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes:

Inmykombi
04-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I am definately going now.

I want a break from work anyway, even if we dont see much.
An open fire and a " cuppa " will do heaps for ones ( my ) sanity I feel.
:campfire:

UPDATE.... Looks like I have talked Arthur into going.
Where will we meet....
I may have to help Arthur pack his car and trailer so we need to work out when and where to meet.

Suggestion to meet at the servo at the end of the freeway....say 9.30 to 10 ish ????????

Van packed and ready to rock and roll.

So who's going definately ?

Geoffro.

jakob
04-08-2010, 06:27 PM
When are you going?
Just saw a post saying 5th to 8th, 5th is tomorrow, thursday?
I thought of leaving friday.
I hope to get a quick reply.:screwy:

Arthur Alchin
04-08-2010, 06:48 PM
I should be right with the gear etc so can meet at the big roundabout at the driver survivor spot at 1000 if that is ok, will be on channel 8. If we are going through hexham we will need to go up newcastle road and acreoss the hexham bridge and then follow the buckett way to gloucester.

Sound OK????

My phone is 0411438858 and i am working tonight through to 0700hrs if anyone wants to check stuff out

Inmykombi
04-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Sounds good to me Arthur.
Is that the servo near the big roundabout at the end of the freeway at 10 am ?

And Jacob, yes we are leaving tomorrow ( Thursday ).
It would be great to see you on Thursday too.

jakob
04-08-2010, 07:10 PM
sh...t
I better get cracking. hope to be there.
Don't know Driver Survivor spot, coords?

j

Inmykombi
04-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi again Jacob.

I think Arthur means either the small parking area near the end of the Freeway on the left hand side at the roundabout, or in the servo / Hungry Jacks parking area after the right turn on the roundabout at the end of the Freeway.

I will stop at the small dirt area near the roundabout first and listen to Channel 8. I should be there about 9.30 to 10 am.

See ya then.

Allan_L
04-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Dam! I wish I could come tomorrow!
Best I can do is Friday after work.
Hoping for an early mark.
Else it will be after dark.

Hope you guys are still there!
It will be cold!!! :cold: :cold: :cold:

Listen to channel 8 from about 6

Inmykombi
05-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Roger D Alan. Ch 8 from about 6pm.

See ya there buddy.

Arthur Alchin
08-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Great weekend, very very cold, best skies seen for a long time. I am sure some stories and photos will appear that will implicate people in irrational behaviour.

Thank you all for a great 4 days. Maybe will can see some others travel next time, the place is the best (and free)

Nice pic with solar flare with my DSI from Allan's Coronado, thank you Allan

Arthur

Inmykombi
08-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Excellent few days away.

I can honestly say I have never seen such dark skies anywhere before.
I could see the dark patches in the Milky Way from Horizon to Horizon with the naked eye.
It was possible to see the veil nebula without filters:eyepop:

The temps at night when still observing got down to Zero on Thursday night with a frost to greet us the next morning.

A few good laughs too, Myself.... I forgot the tentpoles and had to makeshift some tarp poles to get the tent up.

And afterwards, Un-named persons with a Generator ( Arthur ) Highlight the brackets to find out who, tried to start it with no success after about an hour, and then we all had a go at it. We pulled the spark plug out and cleaned it many times, then someone finally checked the fuel.....NONE:lol:
Fueled up it started OK thanks to John.

It was great going to sleep with the sound of a fast running creek / river next to the tent and being awoken by the birds in the morning.

I definitley say I'll go there again, maybe with a few more people to enjoy the dark sky.
Thanks for all the laughs and company.

Allan_L
10-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Great Time!
Great Skies!
Great company.

Unbelievable that the skies were so black - NO skyglow from any direction (except straight up! :) )

I can vouch for Geoff, Veil was definitely observed without filter.
Saw many other Nebulas and Galaxies for the first time, too many to mention.

Daytime solar observing was spectacular!

Some notes for next time:
Geoff, go to the far side, thats where the Mens is.
Arthur, petrol burns better than air.
Allan, trust the GPS!
Jacob, get a generator that makes some noise, so you don't have to check if it is still running.
John, you may need a bigger ute if you want to impress by collecting trees as firewood.

Thanks everyone. Truly memorable experience.
Rated :D :D :D :D :D
Looking forward to many repeat offences.

PS The lookout was 25k north of the campsite.
(Jacob thought I was going via Walcha !) some things you never live down! :)
Worth the diversion!
Jacob got some happy shots I hope he posts.

Inmykombi
10-08-2010, 05:05 PM
How was the Saturday night ????

And where are the photos ?

jakob
10-08-2010, 11:01 PM
These were 3 great days! :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:
Thanks for the company, the laughs and the entertainment.:thanx::thanx::thanx:
I'm glad Geoff and Arthur decided to go, because I was getting influenced by the rotten forecasts.
Thanks to you all!:thumbsup:

I still have to pocess more of the pictures I took.

But attached is a view from the lookout about 25k's from Bretti along Thunderbolts way. The road claims to nearly 1000m which gives a magnificent view from Southwest to Northwest.

The Sunspots were taken with the APO 80 and JMB Sunfilter.

Inmykombi
12-08-2010, 07:10 PM
The view from the lookout is terrific Jacob, you captured it nicely.
I am sorry I missed out seeing that.