PDA

View Full Version here: : 12 inch Meade LX90?

robz
09-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Fellow Astronomers, at the end of this year, I will be purchasing a Meade 12'' LX90.

I realise that it's not as good as the LX200 series,but budget constraints will only go up to the price of an LX90:D

Just like to know if the optical quality is good enough to see planetary detail when the seeing is good and on DSO, has anyone caught a glimpse of colour in the Orion Nebula with the LX90 12''?
I used to own a 16'' dob. with ''so so'' optics:sadeyes:..........but did see some green and pink in this nebula. Will the 12 incher manage this or does it need to be of larger aperature before colour is visible?

Anyhow, any comments, good or bad would be welcomed.:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Rob.

renormalised
09-07-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't have a 12" LX90 but I do have an 8" and I can tell you now the optics is excellent. With a 12" you should be able to see some colour in Orion. Planets and/or DSO's are no problem at all.

robz
09-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Cheers Carl, that's good to know.

Regards,
Rob.

mozzie
09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
hi robert
ive a 12"lx 90 and the optics are fantastic no probs with planetary views,nebs p/n g/c i like to split d/s and can split down to a few seconds if good seeing.
theres no difference optically between the lx90 and lx200 there the same otc. ive not got the acf but ive viewed through a few and wow a little more chrisper to the edge or eyepiece.
i use good quality eyepieces that make the seeing object really standout hope this helps with your decision

robz
09-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Cheers Peter.
It seems that this will be an instrument to look forward to;)!!

I've been away from Astronomy for more than 25 years and in my early teens in the 70's, I allways dreamed of owning a Celestron C14.....you know........the orange one.........:D

Well, the Meade 12 incher will be the closest to that I guess:)

Neil
14-07-2010, 07:26 PM
G,day Robert. I also have a LX90 ACF,could not be happier with what ive seen with it .Optics are superb,just a word of warning, if you don,t want big balls, plan on a observatory...this is a big bit of gear to carry around.Mine comming in about a year or so,i hope!Mozzie gave me good advice early on, good man to talk to. Good luck.

robz
16-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Howdy Neil, thanks for the reply.
Yeah the weight of this thing could be a problem..........got stuffed knees and back, but can still lift and do things up to a certain point.

Observatory?........hmmmmmmm....... .........maybe!:thumbsup:

casstony
16-07-2010, 01:40 PM
If you've got crook joints you need to have an observatory, or put the 12"LX90/tripod on wheels if you have a flat run, or consider an equatorial mounted scope like the Celestron C11 on a CGEM. The ~60 pound lift will be a deterrent to observing.

Another option for those of us with failing joints is to put the ota on an Alt-Az mount (DM-6 or T-Rex) with an Argo Navis or Sky Commander. This is a push-to setup though so you lose motorised tracking.

Having an instrument which is at the limit of your ability to lift/carry is fatal to observing.