PDA

View Full Version here: : Ipad for Astronomy

ashcb1
07-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Has anyone purchased a Ipad for use with our hobby of stargazing.

I have a Iphone with astronomy programs but sometimes its too small and a laptop to hard to lug around at times. I thought an Ipad might solve some of these issues and might be a good investment looking at the sky and at the scope.

Ash

Omaroo
07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Ash - several people have bought iPads (mine - on the day of release) and use them for all sorts of astronomically-realted duties. Do a search on the forum and you'll see a several relevant threads. :thumbsup:

Go to "Search" in the top bar, type "iPad", click on "Show Threads" and then hit go...

RB
07-07-2010, 10:28 AM
I bought an iPad for my lovely wife and she loves it (so do the kids).
One of the first apps I put on there just to try it out was Starmap HD for $1.19.

Great little app, even the kids enjoy mucking around with it.
Shows you around the night sky, can help you find objects and has a fair bit of info on the objects.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/starmap-hd/id375737956?mt=8

:)

higginsdj
07-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Yes, with 3 specific tasks in mind.

First, I can now control my observatory from anywhere I can get a phone signal. Yes you could do it with a smart phone but lets face it you need a reasonable sized screen to do it.

Second, I have Starmap HD (I have Starmap Pro on my iPod Touch). It's a planetorium type app for the iPad and a very good app in my opinion.

Third, Astroplanner will most likely have an iPad version some time inthe future. I use Astroplanner as the planner for all my Minor Planet work.

Cheers