PDA

View Full Version here: : Baader Planetarium Hyperion eyepieces

acropolite
21-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Anyone got any exposure to or feedback on these new EP's from Baader??? http://www.baader-planetarium.de/zubehoer/okularseitiges_zubeh/info_hyperion.htm (sorry it's in german)....:face:

ving
21-12-2005, 11:03 AM
and heres a pdf of the english version
http://www.baader-planetarium.de/download/hyperion-okulare_englisch.pdf

looks great, wonder how much they are?

acropolite
21-12-2005, 11:18 AM
That's the same info that was in the cover of Aus S&S this month. The price is there as well, I remember it was under $300

janoskiss
21-12-2005, 11:40 AM
They are essentially the same as the Stratus EPs. I had a look at some at York Optical in Melbourne, they certainly look the same as the Stratus.

But they are expensive, $265 or $285 ea (I forget which). The Stratus can be had for about $180 ea delievered in under a week from the US (or if you're after a 5mm, I've got one for sale ;)). I've read rumours that an upgraded version of the Hyperions will be coming out, which will have better coatings than the Stratus or the first Hyperions. I don't know if this is true. The Stratus are fully multi-coated. (It says so on the barrel so it must be true :P)

acropolite
21-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Looking at the Stratus specs it would seem that they are the same EP. The Baader specs mention that the bottom part of the EP ("negative achromat lens group") is removable leaving an EP with larger FOV, as the top section of the EP is basically a 6 element Erfle design of longer F/L, although they don't mention by how much the F/L changes. Is this the case with the Stratus EP's as well Steve??

janoskiss
21-12-2005, 03:26 PM
I did not dare to try, Phil. I have read that people have tried it, but with both makes of EPs, removing the barlowing bit degrades the view, especially in terms of edge performance.

GrampianStars
23-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Just to clarify Apples for Apples here guys
From Alpine Astronomical
HYP-3, HYP-5, HYP-8, HYP-13, HYP-17, HYP-21
Baader Hyperion 68° Modular Eyepieces NEW!!
3.5,5,8,13,17,21mm Focal Lengths (specify which) $129 US

Kieken
23-12-2005, 07:27 PM
I'm waiting for them to be back in stock. For us Europeans they are backordered until the end of January.

They are almost the same as the Stratus except for the coatings and some camera adapters and stuff like that. For as far as I know they are slightly better then the Stratus but not by much. So spending 80 or 100 dollars more on a Hyperion sounds a bit to silly to me.

Here (http://www.svenwienstein.de/HTML/Baader_Hyperion.html) is a comparison between the Vixen LVW, Orion Stratus and Baader Hyperion. I’ve translated it for you to English with Babelfish :)

Kieken
23-12-2005, 07:29 PM
The second part

Kieken
23-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Last part

Argonavis
23-12-2005, 10:07 PM
well now I know...............

I think you are saying that to the normal user, they are essentially the same, except for the Hyperion's threaded top.

Wonder how they compare to a Nagler or Panoptic?

janoskiss
23-12-2005, 10:48 PM
I was happy to keep the 13mm Stratus and sell the 13mm T6 Nagler. But kept the 19mm Panoptic and sold the 21mm Stratus. Summary: the Stratus is about twice as far from ideal as the Panoptic, which for me is very close.