PDA

View Full Version here: : Thoughts on older Meade/Celestron SCT's

togo54
20-12-2005, 04:50 PM
Here in the USA I can readily buy topic mentioned SCT's (i.e...2080's and C8's) complete with fork, tripod, wedge and basic RA drives for less than $500 USD. In todays world where mirrors can be recoated for less than $200 USD (both mirrors), and not really being concerned about "GOTO" technology at the present time....can a guy (or gal) go wrong?

atalas
20-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Hi Tom,nothing wrong with a 8"SCT mate ,I used one for years . They are very compact and easy to cart around and with enough aperture to quench your thirst .

Hitchhiker
20-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Tom, here is a link to a Used SCT Buyers Guide. A very long document but covers pretty much all the used SCTs you are likely to find.

http://skywatch.brainiac.com/used/

shredder
20-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi Tom,

Actually I am the proud owner of an old Orange C8, and yes you cant go wrong with them (well not more than a few hundred bucks wrong anyway). Mine performs very well, and I haven't done anything other than clean the optics. The way I look at it the light hits the reflector, primary and secondary mirrors, thats three elements, compared to passing through 5 - 7 elements in a good eyepiece, go for the better eyepieces and you will see a dramatic improvement, and when you sell it you can take the good eyepieces with you.

The downside is that you dont get all the fancy gadgets with them, generally only an RA drive (which tracks surprisingly well), and a lot of add on bits for computer control / setting circles (if you want them). The upside is that they don't break down, are built like a tank, and generally aren't optically coated (depends on era) so you can actually clean the corrector if you really feel the need. You can also get a lot of cheap spares.

Things I have noticed to look out for are: 1. Drives, the C8 has 2 and I do believe they are costly and difficult to replace. 2. Focuser / general stiffness / slopyness, over the life of a C8 the system takes some beating / wear so you might need to strip it down and regrease it (or similar). 3. Make sure you get the power cable as it too is difficult to refit (or so I am told).

The other downside at least for the C8 is in the older models the tripod is non height adjustable, this is good and bad, it makes the tripod quite stable, but at a fixed height.

But as I said I bought one and it has been great, they are also eye catching and a talking piece as everyone once had an Orange C8. Are they as good as a new C8 (or equivalent) well I hope not as you would expect some improvements in 25 years but they aren't far off and dont cost the earth, and if you dont like it you can always sell it again for much the same price as they are already depreciated as far as they will go.

Cheers

M

beren
23-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Wow what a great read , thanks for the link ..... they really should reintroduce more models in adverts like the old days :wink2: